General oil filter cap

Currently reading:
General oil filter cap

i have had the oil and filter changed every 6 months since i have had it not because of high mileage just i think that is a good way to service a engine...previously with all my other cars i have done the oil change myself but the newer the car nowadays the more technical it gets and i read somewhere that fiat uses the sump oil as the dpf that people keep going on about and its not a physical item...i am ready to be taught different

still not sure what a multiecuscan is ....is it the software and the interface the cable i have seen for sale and don't you have to buy a software license...so many questions sorry

Hi,
Multiecuscan (MES) is diagnostic software dedicated to Fiat group cars. Basic functions are free on most models, others need to register at 50 euros. If you tell us the engine type and model year of you car I can tell you what you can do with the free version. The website is www.multiecuscan.net You can download it and have a play / use free functions before paying the registration fee. it is windows based but most people just use an old laptop.
You also need an interface, ELM 327 USB type Get one modified for Fiat, about £15 on ebay or Amazon e.g http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271275445368

Robert G8RPI

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
hi again and thanks to all for there help.:worship:.....until the lights come on i will stay my hand at buying any extra kit ...i have learn' t more on here than i ever could from a book so its a good place to come for info...my engine is a 1.3 95hp multijet and its coming up for 30,000 miles will let you know if and when the lights come on and if they do will look back at the reply's and take it from there
as arny says i'll be back:)

hi again and thanks to all for there help.:worship:.....until the lights come on i will stay my hand at buying any extra kit ...i have learn' t more on here than i ever could from a book so its a good place to come for info...my engine is a 1.3 95hp multijet and its coming up for 30,000 miles will let you know if and when the lights come on and if they do will look back at the reply's and take it from there

Hi, if you have changed your oil without resetting the service indicator, then it will come on when the original oil was due changing, generally it is 20,000 miles 2 years between servicings. So if you have changed yours at around 30,000 and it was last changed by a garage say at 18,000 a year ago, then the service indicator will come on at approx 38,000 or another years time, as the system does not know that you have already changed the oil.

There is a service mileage to go on the menu function, look at the manual to see how to read it.

Hope this helps

Ken

Note The “Scheduled Service Plan” re- quires the vehicle to be serviced every 30,000 km (or 18,000 mi). This indication will appear automatically with the key at MAR starting from 2,000 km (or 1240 mi) and will be presented automatically every 200 km (or 124 mi). The indications will appear more frequently when there are 200 km left. The indication will appear in kilometres or miles depending on the unit set. When the next scheduled servicing is approaching, the message “Service” will appear on the display followed by the number of kilometres or miles left when the key is turned to MAR. Go to the Fiat Dealership where the “Scheduled Ser- vice Plan” operations will be performed and the message will be reset.

If you do not reset the oil degradation counter then the following occurs:

It is referring to the oil pressure light:

LOW ENGINE OIL
Exhausted oil
PRESSURE (red)

EXHAUSTED OIL (Multijet versions with DPF, where provided) (red)
(Multi Jet versions with DPF, where provided)
The warning light turns on and flashes along with the message on the display when the system detects that the engine oil is exhausted.
After the first indication, at each engine start-up, the warning light continues to flash for about 60 seconds and then every 2 hours until the oil is changed.

You should NOT wait until the lights come on. If the oil degredation counter is not reset the engine ECU will eventually stop regeneration of the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and you will get a DPF failure warning and eventually a damaged DPF. You either need to find a Forum member with MES near you who will do it (If you are near Cambridge I can do it for you), pay a main dealer to do it (some may not unless they did the service) or get MES (registered), a ELM 327 interface and a yellow (A3) adaptor lead and DIY.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Spoke to soon went 100 miles past 30,000 and the oil light came on flashing and the message ( change oil ) came up.....decided that we are going to partion my Apple Mac and have windows and iOS running on the same machine...been looking on line and you can get Windows 7 with a product key for £12 or there about so I am going down that route...dpf filter light has not come on yet( is that the light that looks like spraying droplets in a fan shape?)....keep you posted on the progress if any one is interested

I've not got a DPF, so do not get this problem, but always interested in whats going on with other Forums Qubos/Fiorinos, so keep posting..........
Cheers Qube O.

tried another route to get the flashing oil light of and went to the garage that does my mot and full service to see if he could eliminate the code but he had a snap tools device that had not been updated as he has just moved to new garage premises and it did not have my engine on its system but he did try the service mode and the dashboard mode but both failed to remove the flashing oil light...he did say that it would not affect the motor .......my mot is in June ....might still go down the route of getting the interfaces and other bits but not all at once bit at a time when i can afford

I don't agree with your mechanic. Continuing to drive with the light on will eventually block the DPF.

Robert G8RPI.

Agreed, with the flashing oil message on, the dpf will not be regenerated / purged and will eventually fail. If a forced regeneration cannot then clear it you are looking at a very expensive replacement!

For the want of a licence ( approx £35 ) interface lead £20 and a borrow of a Windows laptop you are looking at a replacement cost of potentially £100's . And you will still need to get it all reset and the oil changed again probably.

However it's your call, your money and your car.

I know what most of us including me would do!

Ken

last word on this ....i have had the oil flashing light cleared by a independent garage that doe

s italian cars...tried halfords as i thought that they owned the garage that is attached to them...they used to but is under different management now and they said that they would only clear it if they done the service as it might need a service and they would not take my word....would go back to the alfa garage again if needed...asked them about the dpf and they said just like the first mechanic that it should not affect the function of it as its not connected....just a blast on the motorway should clear it as it is in the exhaust system....i am sure some of you will have views on that

l<SNIP>..asked them about the dpf and they said just like the first mechanic that it should not affect the function of it as its not connected....just a blast on the motorway should clear it as it is in the exhaust system....i am sure some of you will have views on that

I've not looked at the Qubo system in detail, maybe it uses a fuel additive like some of the Citrons, but if it the same as the other diesel Fiats I've looked at the oil degredation counter IS connected to DPF regeneration.
To regenerate the DPF it needs to get hot enough for a catalytic reaction to take place. This is done by injecting fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke. This fuel reaches the DPF and fuels the reaction raising the DPF temperature. The downside is that some of the fuel enters the sump (it leaks past the piston rings) and contaminates the oil. The number of full and partial regenerations is monitored by the engine ECU and if the oil is not changed it stops doing regeneration. Without regeneration the DPF blocks up. The options then are a oil chnge and forced regeneration, clean the DPF or erplace the DPF depending on how long it was left without regeneration and what the soot/ash ratio is in the DPF.
I've researched this carefully and am confident in what I say (for the 1.9 mJTD at least). I'm sorry, but from direct experience most garage mechanics do not understand he systems on modern cars. At best they seem to have a dumbed down partial knowledge.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
thanks for that detailed explanation ...i am going to print it off if i can and take it with me when it has its mot and go into it in detail with the garage...the reason i did not answer the people that offered to do it for me is that i want to be able to do it myself and not rely on someone else as i bet some time in the future when i would have needed help again i would be in the hands off someone else (i admit that i should have answered there posts but did not)they might be on holiday had a bereavement or moved house...they were to far any way
at the very beginning of all this i wanted advice on procedures so i could do them myself
i have done the oil change and learnt about the next faze of what i have to do with cables and software and windows laptop so thats what i will be doing in the future a bit at a time
anyway thanks for all the help

Back