Tuning not quite quick enough

Currently reading:
Tuning not quite quick enough

Maninacan

Hiya,

Got myself another Cinq and straight away did chip, supersprint manifold/backbox, 40mm TB, GSR induction. Not done many miles yet so maybe ECU is still settling in…..but it's still not quite doing it for me.

Got me thinking about turbo's and engine swaps. Even started considering that 1.2 16V finishing on ebay today! (that would be three Cinqs on the drive!)

Is there anything else i should do before ripping it out and fitting something bigger? I'm still trying to find a P75 cam but i get the feeling i need a bigger lump in it…..

any thoughts appreciated, Dan

yeah cost and effort are going to dictate things to a great extent! I've got another motor that's been off the road for 10 years and is about to give my wallet a spanking getting shipshape.

Probably better waiting for someone to sell a car they've done all the work on, but this one is a really tidy rot-free low-miler!

such a shame they didn't make a production 1.1 turbo model, i reckon that would be perfect.

sorry to answer your question i'm not wanting it really quick but it feels like it needs 85HP minimum to float my boat. I think what i'm really missing is the turbo buzz, not had a turbo motor in years.

funnily enough i'm having same these same thoughts about my 205, i think i need a turbo in my life!

maybe i'll stick a cam in this 1.1 first.

Any suggestions where to get a cam? scrappers? anyone here got one to sell?

Your best bet is find an old school scrappy with Mk1 Puntos in it. Some of the SPI Mk1s had the P75 cam -- it's clearly stamped on it.

Alternatively, C & B (and others) will do you a lumpier cam than the P75, but on the 1108 engine you'll end up with a narrower power band, which makes the 1.2 a better starting point.

it feels like it needs 85HP minimum to float my boat.
Well sounds like an P85 engine is what you want then being that its 85bhp out of the box.. This is the 1.2 16v engine and found in the mk1 punto 16v sporting and the old style bravo/a 1.2 16v.

Plenty on these conversions on here, have a search and read. They are fun, not hugely fast but fast enough to shock and surprise alot of people.

no idea tbh - never messed with a bravo/a before just know the basic engine is the same. Punto could have different cams, map in ecu etc.

Never had mine on the rollers but decent induction, decat and exhaust was all i had and pretty sure it would have been about 90bhp by my arse-o-meter

thanks for the tips - i'll see how this set up works for me but that engine does sound like the ticket - and i'm guessing it fits? only problem is affording garage rates to get it done as i'm not up to it!

no idea tbh - never messed with a bravo/a before just know the basic engine is the same. Punto could have different cams, map in ecu etc.

Never had mine on the rollers but decent induction, decat and exhaust was all i had and pretty sure it would have been about 90bhp by my arse-o-meter

Same mods as me but I had the 1.6 TB (Not match so caused breathing issues) and a superchip and it ran 97.1bhp but was over fuelling badly due to the TB and the restrictive position on my filter, the RR guy said with stock TB and a better filter it would easily see 100bhp.

Poor filter.

TB differences

what is this super chip ?

IS this similar to the mckitch but for the mk1 punto ?

I also went from the 1.6 tb back to original, drives so much better.

Thanks
Ming

Yeah it was a chip I bought similar to the Mckritch chip, was well worth the money as it drove loads better afterwards, it was the best thing I bought for my Mk1, I don't know exact gains but I would say it was worth at least 5bhp, it had to be at least that for me to get the 12.1bhp gain I had over stock.

the other mods were, powerflow cat-back, filter and 1.6TB. I don't think it had anything else done.

Yeah it was a chip I bought similar to the Mckritch chip, was well worth the money as it drove loads better afterwards, it was the best thing I bought for my Mk1, I don't know exact gains but I would say it was worth at least 5bhp, it had to be at least that for me to get the 12.1bhp gain I had over stock.

the other mods were, powerflow cat-back, filter and 1.6TB. I don't think it had anything else done.

Could you tell me where and price of this chip please?

I am running a 1.4 16v with a mk1 head at the moment. I would like to buy this chip and try it?

I guess the mk1 ecu has a chip holder and i could just remove the chip ?( I never looked in mine before).

Thanks
Ming

There was a 500 here some yrs ago which had the 1.2 8v with 16v pistons to lower compression and turbo charged. I fancy the idea, would be a nice project.

I fitted the bravos 1.6 16v it turned into a rocket, compered to the fire engine. I dont think it will fit in a 500 thou

Could you tell me where and price of this chip please?

I am running a 1.4 16v with a mk1 head at the moment. I would like to buy this chip and try it?

I guess the mk1 ecu has a chip holder and i could just remove the chip ?( I never looked in mine before).

Thanks
Ming

sorry, as I said to Buttflap in Pm it was 4hrs ago so don't think I have the details of the guy. Any tuner with the ability to wrote EPROM chips should be able to source the map as it was a generic stage 1 I got which at the time cost me £100. I will have a look and see if I can find the guy and see if he still has them, he also had maps for stage 2 as well.

Yes its the oldskool chip design and it.took about 10 mins to swap out, plug and play on the Mk1 ecu.

Last edited:
Back