Technical Noise On Deceleration

Currently reading:
Technical Noise On Deceleration

Cardman

Hello all

I am new here and have an issue I have not been able to figure out.
I have a 2017 Pop. When I let off of the gas pedal coming to a stop, I get what sounds like a rotation noise going with the deceleration speed. It seems worse in reverse. Strange thing is, I put it up on jack stands, run it just as if I am driving it on the road and it will not make the noise.
There are no codes and no check engine light.

Thank you

Hello all

I am new here and have an issue I have not been able to figure out.
I have a 2017 Pop. When I let off of the gas pedal coming to a stop, I get what sounds like a rotation noise going with the deceleration speed. It seems worse in reverse. Strange thing is, I put it up on jack stands, run it just as if I am driving it on the road and it will not make the noise.
There are no codes and no check engine light.

Thank you
Manual gearbox? If it doesn't do it when you pop it into neutral and coast to a halt it could be the differential gears in the axle.
I assume plenty of the correct oil in the gearbox and it only makes the noise under that condition.

Manual gearbox? If it doesn't do it when you pop it into neutral and coast to a halt it could be the differential gears in the axle.
I assume plenty of the correct oil in the gearbox and it only makes the noise under that condition.
Thank you for responding. Unfortunatey, it is doing itwhen I take it out of gear also. The more I look at it, I think it may be the input shaft but I am working so much I haven't been able to tear it down.

Thank you for responding. Unfortunatey, it is doing itwhen I take it out of gear also. The more I look at it, I think it may be the input shaft but I am working so much I haven't been able to tear it down.
If input shaft engine speed rather than vehicle speed, also you would hear it in neutral until you dipped the clutch.
Not a wheel bearing or is there a support bearing for the drive shaft one side on a carrier bolted to the engine.
Strange more noise in reverse.
Is car high mileage ?

No, less than 50,000 but I let someone borrow it and this is the noise after I got it back.

No, less than 50,000 but I let someone borrow it and this is the noise after I got it back.
That is a "bit" unfortunate and sounds like a bit of accidental abuse happened, possibly due to not being familiar. Fiat are not known for poor gearboxes.
Still, if you are unable to locate the fault it may be advisable for a Fiat mechanic to advise, even if you are able to correct it yourself afterwards.

That is a "bit" unfortunate and sounds like a bit of accidental abuse happened, possibly due to not being familiar. Fiat are not known for poor gearboxes.
Still, if you are unable to locate the fault it may be advisable for a Fiat mechanic to advise, even if you are able to correct it yourself afterwards.
Just a small thought and without hearing the noise myself, no chance it is just a stone behind the brake disc or pads, or does it sound more serious to you?

The stumper is that it doesn't do it on acceleration or if it's off the ground in the air.
It has gone on for some time now, do you think it has got worse?
Some years ago I bought a bit of kit for locating noises at a garage closing down auction (I sold it on as I had no use for it at the time) it consisted of around four microphones, connected to loud speakers using long wires with a switch box and volume controls marked with the location of each microphone so you could pin point the area the noise was coming from.
The idea was you secured the microphones where you suspected the noise was coming from, suspension , gearbox engine, etc. and road tested the car to locate the noise.
It needed to safely route the wires etc, and seemed a bit fiddly but it maybe a way of finding the cause of your problem, if they sell one locally to you. :)

Back