Technical No Heat, Control Valve or Heater Core please help

Currently reading:
Technical No Heat, Control Valve or Heater Core please help

JDDogg

I have noheat in my 1981 Fiat Spider.
I bledthe system and this does not seem to be the problem.

The Heater control valve seems to move too freelywhen I removed the cable (so I think it is broken)
photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo (4).jpg

photo.jpg

However compared to a service manual I have theinlet and outlet houses seems to be swaped (not sure)
See picture attached. Is my car correct or is itbackwards? The Heater core outlet pipe gets warm and the inlet pipe stayscold.

Please help!

Thank you

Your pictures are not clear as to which hose is going where. The heater core inlet should be the right hand (outboard) side and the heater core outlet hose should be the left hand (inboard) side. Inboard side hose should connect to the cylinder head inlet fitting and the outboard side to the water pump line. I'm having the same issue as you are-no heat. After purging the system of possible trapped air there was no difference. My '83 spider's heat will work while moving slowly or idling with temp gauge reading approx 170 F but when at highway speeds (55-70 mph) temp goes down to near 120F and I get nothing but cold air. These issues are occcuring lately while outside temperatures have been in the teens (of course!) In my case I suspect that my thermostat is sticking in the open position. Just need to find time now to check it out. Good luck!

reversed hoses to the core should make no difference, they just flow through a small heater core, either direction through the core is irrelevant. The valve is most likely stuck in the off position. Sometimes flushing a core out on the reverse direction will rinse out some crap that might be clogging up the core, but only if that's the problem. One cold hose says something for sure. No flow through the core.

Back