124 Spider (Classic) Newbie ready to jump in the deep end of the pool...

Currently reading:
124 Spider (Classic) Newbie ready to jump in the deep end of the pool...

andycox2639

Hi everyone,

I've owned a 1978 Fiat 124 Spider for a few years. It's a fun car to drive on the weekends, but has had some reliability issues over the last few years so I'm considering upgrading the engine. I vaguely remember reading a post somewhere about a gent in Australia who replaced the engine with one from a Honda S2000.

I can perform the basics, but removing and installing an engine is something I've never tackled before much less ( I am assuming ) installing a new transmission, possible suspension upgrades, new exhaust, new dash cluster and a whole host of other things I'm not even aware of.

However, I am a firm believe that the only way to learn is to do, so I'm looking for any tips, suggestions, references that others have found useful.

Thank you all - looking forward to your feedback and advice.

The great things with older cars is they are generally easy to fix if everyting can be undone..... Engine removal is pretty easy you just have to systematically diconnect everything from teh exhaust to the wiring.

Anything you take off store carefully and put each thing is a selable plastic bag and label it. Label where the wires came off. Old style masking tape is easy to write on and easy to remove afterwards. If its your first time get a note book and write down what comes off in order so you make sure it all goes back. Take loads of photos too. ALWAYS work on small things on a clean bench. Clean it an sweep it before you start, Generally you can waste more time looking for things you have dropped than doing the entire job. If you are removing things that can fall down, use a magnetic tool to ensure they are caught. DOnt work over or near drains / gullies as things always fall in. Take it steady and always think safety first. Make sure things are supported by solid equipment that will not sink into the ground, twist bend and fall over. Always have someone within range to help in emergency.
Expect thimgs to be stuck and seized up, use penetrating fluid on things that look stuck well in advance. Careful use of heat is often a good way to free things. Watch the fire risk and have an extinguisher to hand. Keep a mobile phone in your pocket.

Get the right tools this REALLY makes a difference and avoids damaging things making life harder and much slower. Dont use too much force on anything. Studs and bolts break and nuts round off!! If iots stuck you need to be cunning. An electric impact wrench is worth its weight in gold, as is an impact driver. Make use of U Tube How to videos.

Be prepared for the work to take much longer than you expect. Put the car where it will not need to be moved for the duration of the work!! Dont try and rush things it never pays off.

There is nearly always a fairly simple solution to any problem. If you get stuck stop take a break and ask for a second opinion.

Use a workshop book of online breakdown of things to see how the go together.

Always remember it sometimes hard to get replacement parts so carefull work is the wayto go.

Hope there is something in here of use. ANy specific problems you have there are loads of people on here who have more expertise than me so bring on the queries.

Back