Doblo Newbie Doblo Owner saying Hello!

Currently reading:
Doblo Newbie Doblo Owner saying Hello!

Hello Fiat Owners!
We have 2 Fiats: 2litre Doblo Eleganza (Doblob) and 1.2 Y reg. Punto (PuddleJumper)

Firstly, many think the new Fiat Doblo is an ugly shed; which thinks it's a van; which thinks it's a car. Having got that bit over, I can now give a review! I bought the new-style (2013) Doblo 2 litre after reading the Caravan Club review, when it won its class in the Towcar of the Year in 2010, plus other internet motoring reviews. My good friend Mark, who is a mechanic by trade and runs his own business, owns a 2006 model with the 105 bhp 1.9 engine and this kept up easily with my 2.2 DTI Vectra when towing our respective identical-weight caravans.
The new 2 litre engine turns out 135 bhp with 236 lb-ft torque at 1500 rpm compared with 123bhp/206 lb-ft at 2000 rpm for the Vectra. Combined with a 6-speed box it pulls really well and beats the Vectra into a ****ed hat IMO. It is great on hills.
I am really pleased. There is LOADS of room in the back with the seats folded (enough for 4 washing machines it is said) for the 2 Brompton Folding Bikes and the usual gear. The towball limit is only 60kg but I run at 42 kg with my Eriba Triton pop-top caravan.
It's comfortable; rather like driving an office chair with attitude; rides well both solo and towing with the new independent rear suspension. The controls are nice and light. Steering is precise. Getting in and out is so easy for me with my bad back. The cabin is lovely and light and airy with loads of storage. I chose the red panels option for the upholstery which looks nicer than the plain dark grey.
Why buy new? Well, I got a deal with the full-size spare, anti-whiplash head restraints and a year's tax for the same price as a second-hand one through my supplier. He looked for 6 months and we both came to the same conclusion that 2 litre models are rare. There are loads of the 1.6 about but they are only 105 bhp, so not really what I was looking for.
It looks a lot bigger than it is; 2 inches wider and much taller than the Vectra but a foot shorter. The mirrors are massive but still take the scissor-type extension ones I used on the Vectra. You even get a view through the Triton as you sit much higher. Despite the shed-like aerodynamics it punches a Triton-shaped hole really well, due to the shape.
This is not intended as a "Look at Me With My New Car!" posting, but just to give Forum members an idea of what the new Doblo is like with a 1000 Kilo caravan . If it lasts me 11 years like the Vectra I will be 80!

The Punto has 54k on the clock now and is our Run-Around. Apart from 1 exhaust box, a brake drum and shoes and a recent Crank Sensor (when it wouldn't start very well and had "lumpy running") it's been very reliable.

Back