Technical new transmission only 3 gears

Currently reading:
Technical new transmission only 3 gears

throwinafiat

1997 Fiat 500f

i am putting a new 5 speed transmission and the abath motor (i believe this is my first fiat this old i have worked on so im learning) since the car was originally the 4 speed transmission i had to cut the linkage down to accommodate the longer tans however i can only grab 2 gears with the shiftier hooked up and with the shiftier disconnected i can stick and screwdriver in the bolt hole and i can still only shift forewords and backwards into 2 gears. every other gear is inaccessible. i can put the transmission into neutral and twist the arm (that comes out of the transmission) and feel to sets of detentes but only move forewords and backward when the arm is 90 degrees.

has anyone had this kind of problem or something similar. any info will help i appriciate it

also forgot to mention the car shifted fine with the old transmission again thank you

1997 Fiat 500f

i am putting a new 5 speed transmission and the abath motor (i believe this is my first fiat this old i have worked on so im learning) since the car was originally the 4 speed transmission i had to cut the linkage down to accommodate the longer tans however i can only grab 2 gears with the shiftier hooked up and with the shiftier disconnected i can stick and screwdriver in the bolt hole and i can still only shift forewords and backwards into 2 gears. every other gear is inaccessible. i can put the transmission into neutral and twist the arm (that comes out of the transmission) and feel to sets of detentes but only move forewords and backward when the arm is 90 degrees.

has anyone had this kind of problem or something similar. any info will help i appriciate it

also forgot to mention the car shifted fine with the old transmission again thank you
Have you cut down the length of the 'lollipop' connecter between the gearbox and the rod from the gear-lever? I can'temember the length off-hand, but I will find it for you and put it on the forum.

Have you cut down the length of the 'lollipop' connecter between the gearbox and the rod from the gear-lever? I can'temember the length off-hand, but I will find it for you and put it on the forum.
yes i have it cut down i dont remember what the final length was of hand either

found the shift fork selector was to big and was grabbing multiple shift forks sat the same time and causing it to bind up i have pics will try to post later thank you to the hobbler for the quick response hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

Back