500 New to Fiat , Hello

Currently reading:
500 New to Fiat , Hello

I'm not saying it isn't well built, but with small cars, the profit margin is pared to a minimum, and the bean counters will always try and cut the quality of things to save a few quid.

IMO the real problem with the 500 is not so much build quality as component quality. Most of the problems on this forum aren't the result of the car being incorrectly assembled, they're down to components which have failed prematurely, fallen apart, fallen off or been recalled.

Again, just my opinion, but it seems the bean counters at FIAT have chosen to build the cars out of what may well be the cheapest and shoddiest parts on the planet. Even with the best manufacturing facilities in the world, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I agree, car manufacturers will always source the cheapest parts to build their cars, it makes sense to do that.

No car maker is going to buy a part for say £10 when they can get a cheaper item for say £4 that does exactly the same thing, they don't care if it only lasts 4 years instead of 8 as when the warranty is out its not their problem (n)

The main problem is that cars have so much technology squeezed into them these days I'm surprised there is enough room for any passengers :D

The more gadgets the more potential future problems :cry:

I was told by my Fiat dealer that the main PDI's are done at a depot at the port before they are delivered to the dealer, My 500 was delivered with a cracked fuse box cover (easily sorted) and after 3 weeks its got to go in and have a new boot/hood seal as the one that was delivered with the car is coming away.

We also have a Honda Civic in the family which we bought new in January 2007, 100,000 miles and no creaks, bangs or rattles and its still returning 46 MPG which is not bad for a 1.8 petrol car. My mother will be picking up her Jazz next Wednesday (She loved the 500 but insists that she must have a 4 door :rolleyes:)

I was told by my Fiat dealer that the main PDI's are done at a depot at the port before they are delivered to the dealer, My 500 was delivered with a cracked fuse box cover (easily sorted) and after 3 weeks its got to go in and have a new boot/hood seal as the one that was delivered with the car is coming away.

Haha, that's a good story to cover for the fact they practically did nothing.

It's not true, cars are covered in the transit plastics and still have their build sheets attached to them when transported from Bristol.

I think your fiat dealer was telling you a porky :mad:

PDI checks are done at the selling dealers, any faults are sorted in the workshop / bodyshop, the car is taken out of transport mode, I.e the activation of the radio, central locking, speedo set to miles, language, basically all the stuff needed to have it on uk roads.

Any parts broken or missing during the PDI will be down to the selling dealer, not the dockside port where the car arrived into the uk (n)

THEY, the dealer, should of picked these faults up, PDI, Pre Delivery Inspection ! That's delivery to the customer, NOT delivery to the dealer :(

Last edited:
Back