Technical New to Croma

Currently reading:
Technical New to Croma

mkw

Hi All, this is my first post.

Recently started driving '08 Croma Emotion.
I must say, the ride itself is better than I expected, good work Fiat.

Three small issues/questions I'd like to get some help with:

1. the windows stay open after I close the car (no auto-close) - for a car this advanced a behavior like that is ... strange :(
  2. what exactly is the version of my nav+ thingy (how do I tell)? (I've got the big, color display)
  3. I have a Garmin GPS I used in the previous car, how does the nav+ unit stack up to standard off the shelf units? Is it worth making an investment in the new set of maps?
Thanks in advance for any relevant info.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cromas!!

1. With mine you have to tap twice on the remote to autoclose the windows.

2. Believe you should see the version number in bottom rh corner when you first switch on system and you see the large Fiat logo screen.

3. I have a 2005 system (slightly smaller screen) and I'm not impressed with the graphics compared to say TomTom or Mercedes but still useful as built in.

Last edited:
With mine at least (confirmed by the manual) double-press tells it to deadlock (two thump noises with three flashes of the indicators). I don't know whether it also winds windows up if they're down though - haven't tried it.

One press of the lock button only locks the doors - I've tried locking myself in, and you can still open the door with the handle if you only press it once. Not ideal, having to educate the other half to press it twice to make it smash-n-grab proof.

Anyway, with mine you have to press and hold to wind the windows up. Press and hold unlock to wind them all down.

Thanks for the tips!
I was wondering why there is no problem opening the car from the inside.
Time to form some new habits.

I really need to read the manual...

I'm a new-ish owner myself, so still getting used to it. There's a full-page table in the manual that tells you all the different things it does.

All far too complicated for my liking - my brain only has space for so much knowledge...

Double click of the remote lock button will engaged the deadlocks.

To close the open windows press and keep the locked button depressed till the windows are fully closed.

A double click and hold should engage deadlocks AND close the windows. Timing can be an issue here. I normally press and hold to lock and close open windows, and, then double click close.

I would much prefer

1) single click to lock and deadlock the door
2) 1) and hold to lock, deadlock and close windows

I think my previous car was single-click for deadlock, double for just lock and no alarm. Far more sensible.

This car's insurance group is partly based on its security, including the deadlocking. I wonder what proportion of Croma's actually get deadlocked? Less than half I bet. I wonder what an insurer would say if there was a claim where someone got in by smashing a window and opening the door. They may be within their rights to tell you to clear off.

Thanks for all the info, still need to test deadlocking.
Closing the windows works as described in the manual (should have read that first :) - one long push.

As for the other matter:

what exactly is the version of my nav+ thingy (how do I tell)? (I've got the big, color display)
I still can't find the info, no indication on startup or any of the screens.
Any help on that?

The sat-nav was an option, even on the Prestigio. I didn't see many with it fitted when I was looking for mine. So it's fitted on a small percentage of around 1200 Cromas in the UK, and probably not many of these owners know its innermost features.

Just letting you know you might be waiting a while for info from someone knowledgeable about it here - might it be similar to sat-navs on other Fiats? Are they all Blaupunkt at least? Just wondering whether it might be better asking in another part of the forum, rather than sleepy Croma Corner!

Congratulations on getting a super-posh one though - us lesser mortals have sat nav on a rubber sucker. Mine's a Prestigio with roof rails, but no other extras. Have you got leather and the upgraded stereo (with subwoofer in boot) too?

MKW,

Just to clarify are you looking for info on the version of the connect + software you have or are you after the nav system map info? Its two different things. I'm now back in the UK and can dig deeper in my own systems (so to speak!).

Congratulations on getting a super-posh one though - us lesser mortals have sat nav on a rubber sucker. Mine's a Prestigio with roof rails, but no other extras. Have you got leather and the upgraded stereo (with subwoofer in boot) too?

Thanks, I got the car from a post-leasing dealer.
I guess this must have been an executive lease so they fitted all the extras they could get.
They fitted in the DVD too, my kids love it.

Moneyfool said:
Just to clarify are you looking for info on the version of the connect + software you have or are you after the nav system map info? Its two different things. I'm now back in the UK and can dig deeper in my own systems (so to speak!).

I'd like to know more on this system in the whole.
Still did not get Navteq maps as they seem too pricey to buy as an experiment.
I love my Garmin and I'm not sure I'll be using the built-in nav.

One thing that would be extremely useful is an USB port instead of mp3 CDs,
do you think that's possible at all?

One thing that would be extremely useful is an USB port instead of mp3 CDs,
do you think that's possible at all?

I've wondered about this too. The latest model has what appears to be the same stereo (at least it looks the same), so I wonder whether the USB functionality is tucked away in there - I'd guess USB must be an option now. I doubt it could be added, but it would be a bonus if so.

Just thought - yours will be completely different anyway, being the sat-nav. Have you got yourself the eLearn CD (workshop manual)? This includes pin-outs of connectors, might give a clue. Not sure if it includes the sat-nav unit though.

You poor thing with your MP3 CDs - I have to make do with a 5-disc CD changer plus the single slot CD in the stereo.

Is Emotion trim the same as Prestigio? Was the car an import, or did they change the trim name?

Edit: Or you're probably not in the UK, as it's an 08 model.

Last edited:
1 can any of the good people out there tell were and how to replace the polen filter on the croma 2 mine is the 1.9 8 valve dynamic.

2. I had to change the osf dip bulb last week, to do this I had to remove the air box. when it comes to replace the nsf bulb it looks as if the pipe that goes down to the windscreen washer container will have to be removed. Anyone had this problem yet!!

Thanks chrisgolfpar

The photos in following thread should help with locating and changing the pollen filter. Lift the two clips on top of the filter to remove it:

https://www.fiatforum.com/croma/167997-wet-footwell-carpet-heater-matrix.html

I have just changed the nsf dipped bulb and found that removing the Fuse & Relay Box cover and releasing the plastic locating pin for the washer bottle filler helped.

Hi mkw, any photos of your 08 Croma?
We would be tempted to get a LHD mk2 as an eventual replacement for our 05.

You mean you don't mind a LHD as long as it's Croma???
You people are strange ;)

Tell me what you'd like to see and I'll make the shots.

The way things are going it won't be long until we're driving on the right anyway! Plus it will make for easier trips abroad to the Belgian shops for the beers and chocolates :yum:

A few photos of the outside (front/side/rear) and a couple of internal photos if you don't mind?

Back