General New Tempra 1.9TD Owner with a few problems.

Currently reading:
General New Tempra 1.9TD Owner with a few problems.

Johnjoe

Hi all,

This is my first posting here. I've just become the new owner of a Tempra SW 1.9TD and am looking for some advice.
Although the car's in really good general condition, there are a few problems I need to try & sort out.

• The heater works, but only with the blowers switched on full (4). From what I've read, I'm assuming this means the blower resistor needs replacing. Can anyone offer any advice on where this is located and how I can get to it? Also where should I look for a replacement?
  • I've been told not to open the driver's side electric window because it doesn't close properly. I've tried pressing the swich to close it (with the window already closed) and the motor's definitely pushing the glass upwards, so I think it might just be something caught on the mechanism behind the door panel (the interior handle to open the door is very loose, so maybe it's the cable?). Before I take the panel off to investigate, has anyone got any suggestions on what the problem might be?
  • When I've been driving, there's an intermittent 'clicking' sound (like the sound you get when the indicators are on). This comes & goes but there's no sign of any lights on the dash when it's happening. Any ideas?
I saved this car from being scrapped so I wasn't expecting much but I'm absolutely delighted with her so I'm sure this won't be my last post here looking for help. Cheers.

Well done they are GR8 cars, blower motor is under the dash, passenger side, easy to change if u can get another,. dont know from where.

Window mech should be easy fix, somewhere in my shed I think I have windows, motors, mech & switches if u need anything. The ticking- I dont know, 1 of my tempra's liked to put its hazard lights on, on its own, but then the lights would flash ! Where are u in country, if local to Kidderminster u can have some free spare parts ? Any pic's of yours ? I will post up some of my old Tempra SW's when I get time and am at home

That was quick! Good news, I'll have a look for the blower motor later - I guess the resistor will be easy enough to recognise. I'm in Bournemouth, so not local to Kidderminster at all, but thanks for the offer anyway.
I haven't got any pics yet, but I'll post a few when I get a chance.

The clicking noise when driving IS an indicator noise, you have a dodgy switch. Common problem with Tempras / Tipos. You could dismantle and clean the contacts, maybe use electrical grease. Otherwise find a replacement, but note that they are different depending on whether the car does or doesn't have an airbag steering wheel.

Hope you enjoy the car.

Don't remove the blower! Theres a resistor next to blower, has wires an 2 screws rectangle shaped with round ends, easy to spot, just replaced mine on my tempra, got one off a fiat brava, so easy to get from a scrappy, regards john

I finally got round to taking a look at the dodgy electric window (front driver's side). I managed to remove the panel, not an easy task, and WD40'd all the moving parts I could get at. It hasn't made a difference though, it still just opens & closes an inch at a time before cutting out - I'm stumped! At least I managed to tighten up the cable on the door-release while I had the panel off, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

So, onto the blower resistor - I've seen a few from Fiat Bravos on eBay - need to remove the blown one for comparison first.

Last edited:
I know exactly what the clicking is :D I have the same problem ... Well ... HAD ...
It is the indicator relay clicking BUT its not the relay at fault. The fault is within the stalk. Either if you feel confident strip it out and stripo it down cleaning all parts within and reinstall it OR get a new stalk, Just saw today 2 of them on ebay :D

I know exactly what the clicking is :D I have the same problem ... Well ... HAD ...
It is the indicator relay clicking BUT its not the relay at fault. The fault is within the stalk. Either if you feel confident strip it out and stripo it down cleaning all parts within and reinstall it OR get a new stalk, Just saw today 2 of them on ebay :D

Also just noticed you said you are in BOURNEMOUTH! Which part? I'm in kinson if you need anything for comparison.

I'd definitely like to try stripping down the indicator stalk & cleaning it but can you give any tips on how to remove it? I've had a quick look & am not too-sure about how I should go about taking it out.
I'm in Winton, so not far at all. ;)

Back