Technical New parts for Mk1 punto!

Currently reading:
Technical New parts for Mk1 punto!

Riddler91

Hi, i have a few issues with my punto Mk1, just need some advice and suggestions please:
  1. The suspension is a bit mashed up, not working very well at all. All I am looking for here, is a simple replacement that will do it's job. I dont really understand much about suspension and lowering so im not particularly keen on it. Cheap and simple please!:)
  2. Finally, the brakes screech like a buses. I dont really know why so any info would be nice, and if necassary some new brakes.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks (y)

So you just want to replace the current broken suspenion with a new stadard one? or do you want to lower it? stiffen it up?

If its the former you will have to let us know what symptoms it has as we will be able to give you a better idea of what needs replacing. (i.e. does it bounce alot, make funny noises etc...)

Brake squeal could be due to the pads being low, disks being scored or maybe even they just need a little copper grease on the BACK of the brake pads (dont put any on the front of the pads or on the disk)

When were the brake last changed? how many miles have you done sice then?

It might be worth going to a local kwik fit, nationwide autocenter or any other place that do a free brake check.

Last edited:
Brake squeal could be due to the pads being low, disks being scored or maybe even they just need a little copper grease on the BACK of the brake pads (dont put any on the front of the pads or on the disk)

When were the brake last changed? how many miles have you done sice then?

I just had new EBC disks and pads fitted i have done about 5000 miles on them and they have started squeeking any suggtestions as per what it could be?

(SORRY for hijacking your thread just though it pointless to start one with a very similar question!)

Hi and thnx for the reply.
The suspension I only think i want it replaced, not bothered with lowering.
And the current suspension IS fairly bouncy and it is quite loud when goin over small bumps etc while driving.

And thanks for the info on the brakes, much appreciated.(y)

if its really bouncy then i would guess the shocks are gone or going, front ones cost about £25 each and i would guess the same for the rear. I need new rears but Im going to lower when I get them.

I just had new EBC disks and pads fitted i have done about 5000 miles on them and they have started squeeking any suggtestions as per what it could be?

(SORRY for hijacking your thread just though it pointless to start one with a very similar question!)

Putting some copper grease on the backs of the brake pads should stop the squealing (as said before donot put any on the disks or the front of the pads (bit that touches the disk) else you will have no braking power. :eek:)

Thanks for the advice all.
Just a couple of questions:
Should i just get the same shock absorbers as the car already has? or get brand new ones?
And is it complicated to change them? i.e. reckon I could do it at home? or give it to a garage to change? (if i could do it, does anyone know any good guides that i could use, im good at things like this, if i know what im doing :p)
Thanks again(y)

Sorry to bump, quite important!
I found the rear brakes are nearly completely gone and need them replacing. But i've read that the ABS and non-ABS are different, does that matter to me if i want to replace the shoes and the drum i.e. would these fit a non-ABS car?
Thanks(y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back