Technical New old Tipo

Currently reading:
Technical New old Tipo

Tipo19GR

Hello,

I am new here and I hope I might participate in your forum about the Fiat Tipo 160 - a car that probably is not in the mainstream when it comes to conservation of older cars :)

I drove a 1994 Fiat Tipo 1.4 i.e. with nothing extra but power steering from 1998 until 2011 and when it went it was actually in pretty good condition apart from the gear box which had given up after 370.000 km.

Now I bought another Tipo 1.4 i.e. (1995) which is actually quite luxurious - it has metallic paint, an air bag, power windows and central locking - and it has driven less than 200.000 km. It also has wheel trims which I find very ugly. They are white and while it says Fiat on them I doubt they are original - but it seems hard to find any original wheel trims any more.

I look forward to cleaning the car, giving the engine some attention (changing fluids, oil, spark plugs, etc.) and having some minor rust in the usual spots fixed, but it is basically in good condition and passed technical inspection swiftly.

The fancy modern equipment however does not function entirely, the central locking does not function on one door (left rear). It makes a noise louder than the other three doors and does neither lock nor unlock. I wonder if this is a known issue and whether it can be dealt with in any other way than replacing the thing.

Also, the boot lock is broken, I wonder if there are any places to source that part? I did not have any luck with ebay.

I will post a picture of my new acquisition when the snow melts off ;)

Welcome to the Tipo section. I hope you stick around there's not many of us :). The locks can usually be found, it is best to search within the shops that stock Italian parts, not everything that is available comes up on a general search. What country/market is the car? Please post some pictures !

Thank you for your quick replies! I am in the Nordic countries but I imported the car from the Netherlands and I have seen it mentioned on here by the previous owner. I know there are few left, I feel like we should buy all the ones that are left ;) It probably is a car that only those who have owned it can really love. Then again it does reflect a time when Fiat still had a thought through and complete line-up with consistent design.

I am used to ordering spare parts for cars from Germany and Britain. Do you have any suggestion for parts shops?

Concerning the rear lock the issue is the lock cylinder/button. I can turn the key endlessly in one direction and it does not seem to lock.

The car is going to the paint shop this month and when the weather improves (crazy winter so far) I will post some shiny pictures of my new friend. :)

Back