500 New member: is an extended warranty worth it?

Currently reading:
500 New member: is an extended warranty worth it?

My car came with the standard 3 yr warranty, part of my negotiation with the dealer was an extended 3 year warranty which kicks in in year 4 of ownership ... I did not pay for it, I asked for it after I locked in the purchase price. The deal is that I have to have the car serviced at an authorised Fiat dealership. I'm happy to get my car serviced at my local dealership as it's only a 20 min walk from home... Other customers I've spoken to are quite ok with costs etc.

You will pay for it though. They have literally no incentive to do good rates for you on servicing.

No doubt I will pay for it in some form or another , but I'm still satisfied that the car has 6 years of effective cover, which is also transferable to a new owner should I sell earlier.

.....I'm happy to get my car serviced at my local dealership as it's only a 20 min walk from home... Other customers I've spoken to are quite ok with costs etc.

I'm clearly not sure how the servicing costs compare between Oz and the UK, but here it seems dealership servicing can vary wildly between franchises.

I certainly wouldn't ever lock myself in or give total loyalty to one particular dealership unless I knew they were going to remain competitive and hence why I take the time to phone around multiple dealerships (and independent garages) before I commit. So what might have been good this year may well not be so good next and I'll travel if necessary. The dealership I've just used for servicing is the first time I've used them and they impressed me immensely. The reason I didn't go back to the one I used for our old POP is mainly because of all the bloody roadworks that lie between me and it lol! Never mind the fact it is 10 miles further too. I'm fully aware too,that there are people out there who do give undying loyalty to one particular dealership and that is completely their choice. A little shortsighted I think, but still their choice.

I hope things go well with your warranty and should you ever have cause to claim under it in a few years time, here's hoping it proves its worth.

I take your point frupi, I am yet to have a service at the dealership. If it is crap or over priced or both I'll move on regardless of location or warranty. At this early stage of ownership, 2000kms, I'll see how it all plays out. As mentioned I didn't pay extra, the only 'payment' is service loyalty.

Just to let everyone know who has provided so much helpful information and advice. Thought I would report back on my decision given that, today, I became the proud owner of my Fiat 500 Cult. She's (he's?) a cutey. Will have to think of names. (Considering Beppe after Don Quixote's stubborn donkey, but also because the name means "God will enlarge" !!!!!).:D

1) I decided to check the T &Csnoffered by Bristol Street Motors v other main brand independent warranty providers.

2). I prefer to have an extended warranty (ie covering 6 years from new) providing it is fit for purpose as the problems with cars tend to increase exponentially from year 4 (statistically). Whether that is just because the cars are older or because owners become sloppier over maintenance ..or a combination of the two I do not know.

3) when there is a main dealer warranty and service plan and proof that the car is well maintained under the bonnet as well as outside then the car is undoubtedly easier to sell at a better price.

4) it is true that there are limitations to the BSM warranty. Most unsurprising (eg normal wear and tear, brake pads, windscreen wipers etc). The mechanics seem well covered and are more likely to be the most expensive parts. Electrics are more ambiguous....and they were in all warranties.

5). When I started looking at price however it was pretty clear that the BSM extended warranty was markedly cheaper than the better rated independed warranty firms..perhaps as I am paying for 3 years (years 4-6 inc) well up front but also because BSM then have confidence that the maintenance will be mainstream...approved oil and parts etc. So the equivalent independent warranty would have been £300 pa. The BSM was £600 for 3 years inc AA cover (that latter I believe being available through main dealer maintenance as part of the service plan.

6) I shall try and report back on issues as they arise so at least we can learn from my decision whether wise or not

Thank you all so much for your kind advice and support. I shall now have to find out how I can donate to this site without using PayPal. Any advice welcome again.

Last edited:
To be honest on the 500 most issues happen in the first year or two. My 500 is 5 years old now and had a few issues within the first three years but the last 2 years hasn't cost me a penny.

Back