General New member and looking for info

Currently reading:
General New member and looking for info

Ddedman

New member here and also New tonthe Fiat world. Picked up a 1972 fiat 124 spider and plan to do a soft rebuild on it. Had been sitting in a shed for we think about 25 years or so. I'm working on cleaning things up and am having problems figuring out what is located on the drivers side engine compartment. Hope you all can point me in the right direction. Attached is the first. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220825_173619.jpg
    20220825_173619.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220825_173634.jpg
    20220825_173634.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 47
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I'm slowly figuring things out. One other thing I can't figure out is a small hose about 3 inches located on side of engine block drivers side right above the fuel pump. It's leaking currently. What's the purpose of this?

Attachments

• 20220825_121102.jpg
    20220825_121102.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Awesome. Thank you for the info. I'm slowly figuring things out. One other thing I can't figure out is a small hose about 3 inches located on side of engine block drivers side right above the fuel pump. It's leaking currently. What's the purpose of this?
Ok nevermind. Figured out what it was. For those of you that don't know it's part of the crankcase breather. Plugged solid. The long hose going to the airbreather was kinked and cracked. Hopefully cleaning and fixing the hoses will fix the oil pushing out from the dipstick port.

On (or should I say in) the crank case breather hose then at one end, normally the carb / throttle body end, there may be a "flame trap". This is basically a fairly course wire brillo pad like (similar to a bottle/tube brush but without cuts ends) inserted into the hose. It will probably have a tang or pull loop to allow it to be pulled out of the hose.

If this has never been cleaned then it is most likely completely clogged up with oil/water emulsion. This will cause the crank case not to be vented correctly and the pressure will build up with the only exit being the dip stick, oil filler can and any worn crankshaft oil seals.

Well the crankcase breather and oil leak is fixed and the car is prepped for sand blasting. I do have another whatnis this question however. What is this indicator light for.
20220927_192545.jpg

Back