General New Croma - fuel economy

Currently reading:
General New Croma - fuel economy

swebb

I have a 1.9TD 150bhp. I've had it for a little over 18 months. I used to get about 420 - 440 miles to the tank. I'm now getting about 380ish (this has been since about September ish).

I have told my dealer and they said they had done something about it (not sure what as it went in for a few jobs at the time).

Anyone else have this problem?

When i had my bravo 1.9jdt, i would always get less miles to the tank during the winter time.
Not sure about my Croma 1.9mjet as i've only had it a week. So far i've managed to get about 450miles from a tank (still not quite empty).

Have you changed the fuel fitter to see if that helps?

Fuel fitter? Was there a recall on that or something?

Filled up my 2006 1.9 Multijet in London at Car Giant then drovefor arund 40 minutes in slow moving london traffic. Did about 100 miles on motorway and another 200 on off motorway roads before hitting the motorway for another 100 miles. The next day another 100 miles off motorway....in the end I was chuffed to bits to get around 600 miles on one tank!!!

Over the last 18 months of owning our 150 mutlijet the best economy we've had was 50mpg on a 300 mile mostly motorway/good A road journey. Last weekend going across Wales we averaged about 45mpg, but in my normal commute on a busy motorway its typically 42-43 mpg which means over 500 miles to a tank. I'm happy with that.

My 2.4 Auto is averaging 40-41mpg on my 33-mile commute, very pleased but then I don't give it a hard life. Don't know how many miles that is to a tank because I always fill up before the light comes on, but I would suspect it's around 460 ish. HTH.

Filled up on the way home on Wednesday, the current readings on the trip meter are 118.8 miles travelled at an average speed of 39MPH, average MPG 42.6 - although most of my driving is on A-roads stuck behind lorries.

I take your point though, I was torn between the 1.9 and 2.4 when I was looking for a Croma (Feb this year) and was worried that the 2.4 would be too thirsty. Doesn't seem too bad, I'd hate to be running my previous car (VW Sharan 2.8 Petrol Auto) at today's fuel prices - especially doing 20,000 miles a year...

<braces in anticipation of an attack from the green party>:devil:

I've been running a Punto Cabrio as a second car for the past year or so (paid for itself in fuel costs) to save the VW fuel bills but that's redundant now as the Croma costs the same to run - it'll be going on ebay once I've got it MoT'd.

It's typical - the moment I buy a Diesel car to save money the fuel prices go through the roof. It's true, the rise in oil prices is all my fault... :D

About 5 weeks or so ago my Croma had some work done. An aspect of which was another bash at the fuel economy. There has been an improvement - going from about 380 miles to the tank, to about 430 (3 complete refills since the work, so seems consistent).

I'm not sure whether I should still persist as it sounds like some people are getting even better still.

Without a back-to-back drive of a similar car (which, let's be honest, isn't likely to happen!) there are a lot of variables such as journey type & distance, driving style, type and size of tyres fitted, load carried in the car, electrical accessories used, Aircon on, wheel alignment, mileage etc etc. As a rough guide I would imagine a 1.9 Multijet manual should average mid-forties in mixed driving, and high thirties in town or high speed driving.

Any Croma 1.9 Multijet owners living near swebb? :D

HTH.

Just an update - when I took these pics the needle still hadn't reached halfway between the two red marks on the gauge i.e. this is what my 2.4 Croma has been averaging after filling the tank. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCF0005 800 x 600.JPG
    DSCF0005 800 x 600.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0006 800 x 600.JPG
    DSCF0006 800 x 600.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0007 800 x 600.JPG
    DSCF0007 800 x 600.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
This is interesting I have a 1.9 150 auto which will only average at best 46 mpg on a run and is down to 29 mpg round town. I have complained to my dealer but they say this is ok. I wasn't convinced then and am certainly not now.

The dealer has worked some magic - I was getting about 380ish to the tank. I'm now getting inexcess of 450. But the MPG is still under 40 - about 38 to 39 MPG is all. I do plenty of motorway driving and A roads. Looking at whatothers get, I will still mention this to my dealer.

I wouldn't get any better than that round town TBH. I think it's the gearing on the six-speed box - it goes through the first three gears very quickly (which hurts economy) and spends a lot of the time 'hunting' between gears. Not sure who decided on the gear ratios but they obviously don't drive in the real world :confused:. If you're getting 46 on a run from an automatic 1.6 ton car with a large frontal area then I don't think there's much wrong. The only reason my average is reasonable is because 90% of my driving is on 'A' roads.

HTH.

My 2.4 Auto has just about done enough to calculate now.
It is doing 36.5 to 36.9, very little traffic, fill up to fill up. Just tried BP best, initially makes no difference.
In the last 11 years I have done 180000 miles in Fiat diesels, and always got the extra urban figure, but the Croma is doing 10 mpg less than the extra urban. The computer calculation is unfortunately very accurate.
Plenty of 159 and Brera owners complaining about fuel consumption.

Typically getting 570 miles to a tank of fuel. Mainly doing a B Roads to work at back, getting 40 - 42 mpg. When go on a cross country trek, get on average 55 - 57 mpg. Have noticed as I have put mileage on that my MPG gets better, 15,000 miles ago my commute averaged 34 - 38 mpg.

Conicidentally just filled my 2.4 up tonight, I had done 506 miles and put 53 litres in, which by my reckoning is 43.4mpg. Mainly used on my 32 mile commute on mostly A roads, turning the Aircon off when not needed but sitting at the speed limit when possible. Town driving is a different proposition though - low to mid thirties.

One point from previous posts - I have read that some manufacturers of cars with DPFs recommend against the use of additives as they can harm the coating on the DPF itself. As the 'superfuels' from BP and Shell contain mainly the same additives I personally would stick to the ordinary stuff (it's cheaper anyway) as DPFs are £1200 and I'd rather not take the chance.

On the subject of fuels, is my car fussy or have any other Croma owners noticed their car running slightly rougher on supermarket or Total fuel?

:confused:

Back