Technical New camshaft

Currently reading:
Technical New camshaft

SPA

I've just had a new camshaft delivered. Was surprised that the cam lobes do not seem to have been ground / polished. Is this normal for these cars? Been years since I purchased a brand new one and never one for our Fiat, but previously any new one I've seen has been ground after hardening.

Are you sure your cams are not covered with a removable anti-oxydant coating ?
The lobe surface is always ground to a very fine finish.

Hi Giardini
Yes - the supplier (FDRicambi) confirmed this is how they come. I didn't expect that - and it's a job they must expect me to do.
Tried to upload pic here but not sure if it's worked..

^^^ I don't think you're meant to remove this coating.
Usually if a coating must be removed, it will say so in the accompanying instructions, leaflet or label.

Looks to me like 'phosphate' coating, prevents corrosion and also afaik holds lubricant better than bare steel.

Probably best to await the opinions of those here who have fitted Ricambi supplied camshafts recently.

Al.

^^^ Indeed, I would seek independent advice before risking damage to the tappets.

I've had a steering idler arm from FDR so poorly made, an inspector at tech control recommended I not use it.

Engine builder suggested it hadn't been ground - but they are only going by the same photo. Supplier saying same though. Hopefully someone with experience of the same part will comment. I will also see if I can call someone as well. Will report back if I learn anything...

Last edited:
aha - that sounds promising - and lets face it (no pun intended) makes more sense... If it is the case it's surprising my original supplier doesn't advertise as such.
The product on this website looks a quality piece of kit. Anybody ordered from here?

This is the finish on a camshaft that has been reprofiled by Newman cams. After reprofiling the camshaft has been nitrided (surface hardened and core refined) and although dull the surface is quite smooth.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
Back