New 360 on the horizon?

Currently reading:
New 360 on the horizon?

okay calm down ;)
theres been pics like this about for ages.
plenty of rumours but most likely its a prototype case or perhaps a dev unit.
pics home screens with larger HD capacitys reports have been seen before.

in real terms i think it would be suicide for M$ to produce a V2 xbox 360 without a 0 cost buy back to all consumers.
which isnt going to happen.
yes it would be nice to have the HDMI port which should really have been there.
a built in HD DVD drive would be nice but for the likes of me with no HD TV the 'basic' 360 makes sense.
wouldnt put to much behind that pic

this is not good :mad: it has been rumoured for ages and to be honest i can't see this not being released, esp if microsoft want to compete with the PS3 further down the line for the 'ultimate home entertainment unit' or whatever sony call it :rolleyes:

if the v2 360 comes out with HDMI port and internal HD-DVD drive i and the majority of the world who bought into 360 won't be happy to say the least!!! its looking more and more obvious that the 360 was a really, really rushed console and maybe if they would have taken there time in tweaking various parts and adding an internal HD-DVD drive and HDMI port at a later date it would have made more sense, then again its all about £££ and we all know microsoft wanted to get a head start in front of the PS3.

si

M$ wouldnt want to go head to head with sony on price.
regardless of specs of the 2 machines.
the installed PS2 userbase and likelyhood of upgrading to the (obvious) PS3 means a price edge makes sense.
if they released a V2 with HD dvd drive they would need to raise the price or take a serious loss on each console

EDIT:eek:kay before i go to bed............................

heres the 1st HDMI pic that was released in the summer
hdmiport_s400.jpg

note how the ports are reversed
xbox_zephyr_s400.jpg

also note the lan port is on the surface of the mobo.however the position of the 'updated' ports shows they would be mounted above and below the mobo??

another titbit i found was sony hold the licence on HDMI so M$ would have ot pay sony licencing fee's.
HDMI also prevents the playback of back up HD DVD's

Last edited:
i agree that they will make a serious loss, as have sony, its costing them (in production costs) $800 to make a 60GB PS3 and they're selling them for $599. but they will make there cash back on the games and blu-rays.

the PS3 over here is going to be £425, so the new v2 360 will need to be matching sony to compete in the HD market in my opinion and what are microsoft going to do about the unfortunate customers without the added extras on there consoles? what will the premium be if they bring this out? premium-lite??!!! lol

I dought microsoft would release a newer version of the 360 already, imagine the uproar it would cause and it would also come with a lot of bad publicity which is the last thing they want with the impending release of the ps3.,.,

most likely one of the developer units., if ya look on the bonus disc that comes with the Gears of war limited edition pack you notice that none of there 360s are normal ones like ours.,

hmmm well the plot thickens.
M$ have not commented.
in as much as they state they wont comment on speculative leaks.
so thats not a denial.
it seems the scaler chip for the 360(both dev and retail)has been redesigned
the original was ANA(suggested for analogue digital?)and the new one is HANA which is specualted as HDMI?
now the problem here is they have gone ot the trouble redesigning the chip plus have made some mobo tweaks.

now in real terms to have done this work heavily suggest a V2 but i still dont see them going head to head with the ps3 so expect a lower price even on the newer machine.

also seen a vid of the working HDMI port outputting via VGA adapter ot a pc TFT

I'll tell you what, if M$ do this then I'll sell both my 360's and buy 2 PS3's. I bought consoles to get away from this upgrade bullsh*t that you get with all PC stuff. I want a console to last 4 or 5 years before needing to or feeling the need to upgrade. It's totally out of order and I won't buy into it no matter how much it pains me especially as the 360 wasn't exactly cheep in the first place :bang: :nono:

i agree koa.
this is what a console is about.you buy it,games,controllers and play knowing it a fixed hardware set up for approx 5 years.
think back to the sega cd,32x flops.
nintendo almost did a SNES cd add on called a playstation with some little company called sony but pulled out at the 11th hour.
wonder what happened to them ;)

nintendo almost did a SNES cd add on called a playstation with some little company called sony but pulled out at the 11th hour.
wonder what happened to them

yeah thats true., the original plastation was a colabration between the two of them but ninteno pulled out due to costs if i remember correctly and sony was going to scrap it, but then decided to give it a shot, and then started a revolution in gaming.,.

and abot the newer version 360, if it happens, like koa said i'll be boycotting everything xbox,(allthough i wont be buying sony) i havent even got it that long and i will be seriously pis*ed if they "upgrade" it.,.,
ever since the original xbox came out ive spent literally thousands on accessories, games etc and that one lasted me years.,.,

hardware tweaks are not unknown.ninty changed the GC AV connections,sony dropped support ofr the hard drive in the slimline PS2.
however this is a different kettle of fish altogether.
if this gets confirmed enough for me i'll be selling mine before its the lesser model and prices dive

hardware tweaks are not unknown.ninty changed the GC AV connections,sony dropped support ofr the hard drive in the slimline PS2.
however this is a different kettle of fish altogether.
if this gets confirmed enough for me i'll be selling mine before its the lesser model and prices dive
As will probably 30 or 40 percent of 360 owners. It will not give consumers confidence in M$ as they will not want to risk buying another machine if they are going to go down this route, surely they must realise this ?

well i dont get it either.
xbox 1 they/we knew they would never corner the market and were playing catch up.
now with the 360 this was there machine to get a market share.
obviously looking ot xbox 3600 or whatever ;) being the one to get the box in more homes than sony.
now if the release a V2 its to IMHO a small market.
eg those who would not buy one without an HDMI port.
the rest of us are either not bothered or can use a different connection method.

i find it highly unlikely there will be any form of compensation for V1 owners.
more than likely the V2 would have higher gb HD so the V1 premiums become more out of date.

madness but the evidence so far leans that way.

they have ot realise the bulk of console buyers know very little on tech specs

i think what will annoy people/owners the most is that it will 'more than likely' have a built in HD-DVD drive too. i know you can pick up the 360 external HD-DVD drive for £130, but thats not the point, i had one and sold it and bought a 20GB PS3 for £230 delivered from the US, mainly for the blu-ray drive, the HD-DVD drive was great but didn't do it for me it was just ugly and it felt stupid having two drives...and the noise the 360 makes when its plugged in :( i still think microsoft should have waited until they had the technology to put in a internal HD-DVD drive and HDMI capability, they would have done just as well if not better.

I doubt they would make that many changes at once, although I can see future 360's with a quieter fan. This isnt going to really upset anyone, hell PS2 totally changed their laser, ever tried late games on earliest PS2s? They dont work (The Warriors especially)

I think M$ are quite happy to be considered the 'cheaper' machine, hell its gonna work wonders for the Wii.

As for needing a HD-DVD drive, I dont think anyone minds that much at the moment, and a plug in unit will be enough when there are enough HD-DVDs worth buying.

As for Blu-Ray - LOL! It aint gonna work, its Betamax all over again, harder to say, more expensive to buy, it doesnt matter if it is better, its gonna confuse all the old people out buying presents, hell my grandparents have just learnt how to spell DVD, let alone anything else.

And look at Sony's past history in making new media storage disks, MiniDisc, those rubbish littlel PSP films. Three strikes sony, give up!

Back