General New 105 TA, good value?

Currently reading:
General New 105 TA, good value?

I presume the op was wondering if the price been asked represented good value as opposed to buying a new one. Most people with half a brain know that new cars instantly depreciate when purchased.

Mine was worth more when I drove it off the forecourt than I paid for it :)

Nothing wrong with Maxi's reply, the OP asked a simple question, so why elaborate, the OP can ask further questions, maxi is pretty cool with qualified questions. Btw Not everyone has to elaborate, we all have different personalities.

Have you read the first post ? what does £11990 mean to you, can you also presume from that the spec of the car, date of registration, additions to the car ? No you can't. The question was rather generic in nature and unqualified.

The original post asked whether £11990 was a good price for the TwinAir Lounge 105 with Volare Blue paint. This car (as described) lists at £13900. You usually can get about £1k off a dealer order, therefore an extra £900 or so seems a good deal.

Ok so they didn't describe if it had extra options, date of registration, but the more options the more expensive the list price, therefore the better the £11990 looks and they did say '14 reg' therefore at worst it's 5 months old. Even if '14 reg' means registered in 2014 rather than 14 plate, it's still a decent deal and I doubt it'd be older than March 2014 because the 105 engine has only recently started filtering through.

It's true you must consider the points that Jrkitching described but it's still a decent deal. As far as i'm concerned there's little to presume and the question is qualified enough to give a reasonable answer. A short sentence simply saying no new cars are good value might literally answer the question, but anyone acting reasonably would know that this was not what the OP was meaning. I stand by my earlier comments.

Exactly how many people drive a car off the forecourt and sell it? The actual calculation is the drop in price from when you buy to when you sell. Even nearly new cars depreciate as do used cars. Factor in the rate of depreciation over the life of the car in your ownership along with maintenance repairs warranty goodwill repairs etc etc. as I said, sticker price is one factor. Unless of course you drive it off the forecourt and sell it!

The original post asked whether £11990 was a good price for the TwinAir Lounge 105 with Volare Blue paint. This car (as described) lists at £13900. You usually can get about £1k off a dealer order, therefore an extra £900 or so seems a good deal.

Ok so they didn't describe if it had extra options, date of registration, but the more options the more expensive the list price, therefore the better the £11990 looks and they did say '14 reg' therefore at worst it's 5 months old. Even if '14 reg' means registered in 2014 rather than 14 plate, it's still a decent deal and I doubt it'd be older than March 2014 because the 105 engine has only recently started filtering through.

It's true you must consider the points that Jrkitching described but it's still a decent deal. As far as i'm concerned there's little to presume and the question is qualified enough to give a reasonable answer. A short sentence simply saying no new cars are good value might literally answer the question, but anyone acting reasonably would know that this was not what the OP was meaning. I stand by my earlier comments.

The discount does not mean anything if the item is not their first choice. Your initial replay should have been to ask further questions to the OP to help him/her in zeroing the decision. and perhaps ask the OP to introduce themselves, their knowledge and what they are looking for in this forum.

The OP should have told Maxi a bit more and Maxi would have responded, but Maxi had answered no new car is good value, meaning the discount you have is a good one.

Sorry, but you have made the post personal in my view, take up your issues with Maxi. I note your dislike.

Last edited:
Arorat, I don't think jtdliam has an issue with me.

I take his point also. What I was sort of trying to say was that 12k is a lot to spend on what is a small and fairly cheaply built car. The relatively minor issues I've had with my sub 9k 500 would be rather unacceptable on a car that costs 33% more. Value is a personal thing of course. There are people spending 18k plus for Abarth's which I could never justify myself, but for them owning such a car gives them happiness.

For once I shall try and be the peacemaker!

The discount does not mean anything if the item is not their first choice. Your initial replay should have been to ask further questions to the OP to help him/her in zeroing the decision. and perhaps ask the OP to introduce themselves, their knowledge and what they are looking for in this forum.

The OP should have told Maxi a bit more and Maxi would have responded, but Maxi had answered no new car is good value, meaning the discount you have is a good one.

Sorry, but you have made the post personal in my view, take up your issues with Maxi. I note your dislike.

I think it's a bit far-fetched asking a newcomer to the forum to introduce themselves and almost qualify themselves to us before answering their questions.

Much like Maxi (albeit in a slightly more long-winded manner) I simply answered what was in front of me, without presuming whether it's the exact car the OP wanted or didn't want. In that sense I guess me & Maxi both responded similarly, by taking the question literally. It was just Maxi's interpretation of 'literally' that I found a bit too literal.

Arorat, I don't think jtdliam has an issue with me.

I take his point also. What I was sort of trying to say was that 12k is a lot to spend on what is a small and fairly cheaply built car. The relatively minor issues I've had with my sub 9k 500 would be rather unacceptable on a car that costs 33% more. Value is a personal thing of course. There are people spending 18k plus for Abarth's which I could never justify myself, but for them owning such a car gives them happiness.

For once I shall try and be the peacemaker!

Appreciate this Maxi. I've no issue at all with you. It was merely the response. If I had a problem with Maxi, or indeed vice versa, then we wouldn't both be still on here after 6 years!

I totally agree that the 500's aren't worth what Fiat are charging. They truly have milked people with price rises without increasing component or service quality to match the price hikes. However, ultimately if people pay the price then who can blame them. There's plenty of other cars/manufacturers you could accuse of exactly the same. The 500 continues to sell in huge numbers despite the price rises so I guess people can't put a price on the feelgood factor, which the 500 does deliver in spades......until the wiring to the boot hatch splits in two ;-)

I think it's a bit far-fetched asking a newcomer to the forum to introduce themselves and almost qualify themselves to us before answering their questions.

Appreciate this Maxi. I've no issue at all with you. It was merely the response. If I had a problem with Maxi, or indeed vice versa, then we wouldn't both be still on here after 6 years!

Tomorrow if FF introduced a knowledge form for newcomers to fill, it would become a great idea... So really an intro is far-fetched for a person coming onto a forum looking for answers ?

Being on the site and having issues is a separate matter, I am just going by your wording in para 2 in post 3

I will step out of this conversation now, it's dead ended.

Cheers

Tomorrow if FF introduced a knowledge form for newcomers to fill, it would become a great idea... So really an intro is far-fetched for a person coming onto a forum looking for answers ?

Being on the site and having issues is a separate matter, I am just going by your wording in para 2 in post 3

I will step out of this conversation now, it's dead ended.

Cheers

Yes, I think it's far-fetched, and I think your response above is odd. I've tried to explain myself, as has Maxi, but you still seem to have some issue.

I'm also not saying anything more on this thread until/unless the OP returns (if they've not been completely scared-off) and asks for advice, as we seem to be on totally different wave-lengths and It's not worth trying to change that.

Oh well! I've revived the thread!

I've now seen the following in the link provided and I'm a bit tempted. It'll mean securing the best possible PX deal on our present TA or of course, I could sit it out and sell privately though.

http://www.vospers.com/used-cars/results/WG14GKK/

I'm aware of the registration date, I'm just wondering though when the car was built. Already the car is 3 months into the warranty, though to be fair, our present TA was already four months into warranty when we bought that.

It's a 500 mile round trip for me..... mmm :tempt:

Well naturally I've been having the same impure thoughts! If I traded up now to a 105 I'd take a hit on my existing TA of about €3K I reckon, then theres the extra price of the 105 so it would cost me about 4K minimum (euro that is). If I ordered now I'd get the car for Jan. If I was a betting man I'd say they'll bring out an upgraded 500 of sorts later next year or maybe even a Sportier Abarthised 105. So no doubt as soon as I've spent the 4K something more attractive will loom on the horizon. So to cut a long story short I'm gonna hang on to my 85 TA until a real 500 upgrade comes along. Wish list: improved suspension & brakes, perhaps with Panda floorpan & underpinnings, better engine selection inc 1.4 MA, improved interior finishes, LED DRL's, revised exterior styling, improved seating position, new colours......that's all!
I'm very happy with the 85 though and I speced it up nicely so more then happy to hang on to it for a good while.

hi im new to TAs but i bought a 15 plate seven seater with 13 miles on clock for £11400 is this good

Back