Need more memory...

Currently reading:
Need more memory...

Hi all! Need some help :)

I have a Packard Bell Easynote SW51. Have had it for years but its getting a little slow.... Where can I get ram for it? Tried crucial but no joy!

Also how difficult is it to put in a bigger hdd? Installed ubuntu and the space is beginning to dwindle :(

Cheers for any help! :)

local computer stores or internet for the Ram. i got a 2gb DDR2 Chip for £10.

HDD's are expensive and in short supply at the moment due to flooding in Taiwan, but to cange that you need to image or clone your existing HDD and copy that onto your new HDD. I reckomend Easeus Partition Manager for that. (y)

https://www.fiatforum.com/computing/283209-cloning-imaging.html

Last edited:
Cheers! I have an imaging tool anyway, need it for, er.... ISO files I might get! :p

I'm assuming that I have to keep the same kind of hdd as before? The laptop uses a rather odd scsi hdd....

Plug and play after that?

A friend of mine recently upgraded ram on his laptop, I think they're the same type, I'll give it a go when I get round to him :D

Cheers again for the quick response! (y)

Yeah, turn off the computer an take out the HDD and memory chip. take a photo of the connecters on the HDD, aslong as your new one is the same it'll work. and check on the memory chip if its a DDR1, DDR2 or DDR3 (Unlikely to be the later as that is new now)

Memory is plug and play.

Aslong as you image the HDD properly yes its plug and play. the reason i used EaseUS is that it gives you step by step instructions on how to do it all (y)

Yeah, turn off the computer an take out the HDD and memory chip. take a photo of the connecters on the HDD, aslong as your new one is the same it'll work. and check on the memory chip if its a DDR1, DDR2 or DDR3 (Unlikely to be the later as that is new now)

Memory is plug and play.

Aslong as you image the HDD properly yes its plug and play. the reason i used EaseUS is that it gives you step by step instructions on how to do it all (y)

Lovely stuff that seems to be straight foreward enough :D

Copying from one hdd to another, how do I go about that?

I think I'm ddr 2...

im right in saying it has 1gig standard?

max it can safely take is 2gig so you only need to get 1 more chip

http://www.offtek.co.uk/ram-memory-...ll-laptop-memory/easynote-sw51-b-012/mid80830

tenner (y)

Thats right, one gig was plenty in 2007 but not very good anymore... Didn't realise memory was so cheap! Over here... :cry:

My friend has a Toshiba Satellite from the same era, he reckons its the same type of memory...

Lovely stuff that seems to be straight foreward enough :D

Copying from one hdd to another, how do I go about that?

I think I'm ddr 2...

Thats right, one gig was plenty in 2007 but not very good anymore... Didn't realise memory was so cheap! Over here... :cry:

My friend has a Toshiba Satellite from the same era, he reckons its the same type of memory...

that's where cloning comes in (see russ's link) but it might be worth doing a full backup and then a fresh install on the new hdd

yeah you are ddr2

Mines a Toshiba Satellite from thw same era. came with 3GB DDR2 Memory and a 160GB hard drive. Now its got 4GB DDR2 and 500GB HDD :D

Yeah, just follow my link its got the most recent advice on how to do it (last week =P)

and if you struggle just use EASEUS PARTITION MANAGER!! It tells you everything ;) :rolleyes:

Back