Need a rant

Currently reading:
Need a rant

Stuart

Prominent member
Ive been asked to maybe stay a couple weeks longer at work and have said yes as long as i get home for a family holiday to Spain. The mrs is complaining that i will need a few days at home before going away, and that she wants to do a shift at her work which she hasnt been able to do while the kids have been on holiday...

My view on this is to make hay while the sun shines, i am the main breadwinner and on a reasonable wage, whereas if i come home a few days early to allow her to work a shift, we will be loosing money. There isnt any other jobs around in my industry at the moment and im trying to keep the boss sweet you could say.

Im actually raging that she cant see the wood for the trees.. im maybe focusing too much on providing for my family, but in the present climate thats surely not a bad thing...

I can understand where you're coming from but I have to warn you I also have an inking, for right or wrong, why your wife might have a problem with this. Just out of a matter of interest did you discuss this and come to a mutual decision about you doing the extra work and she's only having a grump because she'd rather have you home or was this presented to her as a done deal?

Things to think about

Ok, you're the main breadwinner but your job is contracting whereas I'm guessing hers is a zero hours contract but always there if needs be. In your head you're thinking quite rightly the couple of weeks extra put in will earn far more in the long term than she can and will provide a buffer if there's no contract forthcoming when this one ends. However in her head she may be thinking that her work is permanent, doesn't rely on the uncertainty of oil prices and will be there if you can't get any more work. Except if she doesn't do a shift soon in may not be and someone else will fill the rota for her. It may not be rational to you plus perhaps she also enjoys her job and misses it when she's not there? It's all important but only you two know

Second point to think about is what I touched on in the first paragraph. She and the kids miss you and would rather you were home than away even if it costs you money. We knows you're not happy where you are from what you're posting here so I would guess your misses is even more aware. I suspect she just wants you home and happy again rather than feeling that you have to stay miserable - even if it costs you all money.

I've no idea if any of what I have posted is true but thought I should post a possibly different perspective just in case it turns out it's Nigeria also has a forestry problem :p

She knew fine and well before i started this contract that i would be doing extra time if the opportunity presented itself.

And maybe any other time she wouldn't be so fussed but perhaps as it's the school holidays she'd simply prefer you home - although gawd knows why if you're going to be a grumpy bugger :p

Hope it's all blown over now though

Nope.. i dont calm down or back down easily.. if im needed to work here till my holiday, then here i will be. If it costs me my break, then im staying here for a 3 month hitch.

I have family to support and a lifestyle to try and maintain, just like any other hard working family member

Back