Technical My white Panda 4x4

Currently reading:
Technical My white Panda 4x4

Congratulations Vernon! How many hours did the welding take?

Well they charged me for 1hr but I wouldn't imagine it would have taken that long, I did everything for them so all they had to do was literally weld on the plate, maybe take the wheel off first. It was a nice job so I'm not complaining, and when I've finished setting up my workshop (nearly there :)) I'll be able to do it all myself.

Finished the repair on the rear inner sill today.

I'd left some rust removing gel on any remaining patches of surface rust, hardly any at all but it's not good to leave any remaining that can develope and cause problems later.
After washing off the gel the next step was to paint the area with etch primer......

Then spray with body schultz.....

Then paint over that with body colour paint.......

And finally cover, inside and out, with cavity wax.

I also cleaned off the other side and sprayed it with wax too, it's in fine condition and I wanted to keep it that way.
I now have what I thought I'd bought in the first place, a rust free Panda :eek:. If there is any more hiding anywhere I'll find it as I plan to work my way through this one with a fine toothed comb, what fun :p.

Not much going on with this one as it's pretty much up together, but in my quest to make it as good as I possibly can I have recently carried out a couple of detail jobs.

The 4x4 stickers on the rear wings had lost some of thier colour, particularly the red around the lettering, so I needed to replace them. Fortunately Allen Fletcher came to my rescue and sold me some new ones :worship:, thanks Allen, I didn't think I'd ever be able to get hold of those.
They're not easy to replace either. The problem is that they've had so long to stick that it's impossible to just peel them off. I'd already done this job for a friend so still had the tool that saved the day. It's called a toffee wheel, and fits in a drill. It's basically a rubber wheel that whizzes round and rubs off the vinyl without harming the paintwork, as long as you don't hold it in one place for too long.
There is a certain amount of cleaning up afterwards using a cutting compound and polish, but it's still the most effective method I've found.

Here's the new one in place.......

With this done the little 4x4 badges were looking a little sad so I refurbed them too.....

Last edited:
On the way back from Castle Combe the other week Scott, who was driving it, reported that the 4x4 was sounding sportier. At first I thought this was just the influence of it being driven around the circuit, thought it was a sports car now :p, but turned out to be a problem with the exhaust...............

Only today did I find time to replace it, once it stopped raining. It looks so nice and shiney I'm almost glad it went!

Back