Punto (Mk2/2b) My Punto HGT Oil Burner (R.I.P.)

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) My Punto HGT Oil Burner (R.I.P.)

It did well, my g/f who was driving sustained bad bruising + some airbag burns I (passenger for once) got a broken hand and a broken sternum. The cabin was completely intact although when she went back to have a look the climate control unit and the glovebox fell out pretty easily. Airbags came from everywhere!

I just travelled 140 miles to look at a Yellow JTD HGT after being told it was perfect. It was suffering from serious door drop on the passenger side which suggests to me its been knocked, nothing on the HPI certificate. On me saying this the salesman got a bit shirty and refused to refund the deposit he sweet talked out of my g/f's mother even though it was given on the condition it was fully refundable (his suggestion not hers) if we didn't like it on the viewing...

Not impressed. I wouldn't of put the deposit on personally but the family member was just trying to do something helpful and I reckon that from a reputable group the service is pretty p*ss poor.

Name's will be left out until this is or isn't resolved.

I just travelled 140 miles to look at a Yellow JTD HGT after being told it was perfect. It was suffering from serious door drop on the passenger side which suggests to me its been knocked, nothing on the HPI certificate. On me saying this the salesman got a bit shirty and refused to refund the deposit he sweet talked out of my g/f's mother even though it was given on the condition it was fully refundable (his suggestion not hers) if we didn't like it on the viewing...

Not impressed. I wouldn't of put the deposit on personally but the family member was just trying to do something helpful and I reckon that from a reputable group the service is pretty p*ss poor.

Name's will be left out until this is or isn't resolved.

Unlucky, Hope you get sorted. A lot of salesmen are scum make sure you get your deposit. Similar thing happened to me except it was £250 and was told it WAS refundable but he said it wasn't to try and get me to buy a shed. I just followed the salesman round for 3hours (even stood outside the toilet when he went) until he gave in and refunded it.

Good choice of colour by the way (y)

Where abouts are you? your fairly local to me aren't you? (newton aycliffe).

Last edited:
Unlucky, Hope you get sorted. A lot of salesmen are scum make sure you get your deposit. Similar thing happened to me except it was £250 and was told it WAS refundable but he said it wasn't to try and get me to buy a shed. I just followed the salesman round for 3hours (even stood outside the toilet when he went) until he gave in and refunded it.

Good choice of colour by the way (y)

Where abouts are you? your fairly local to me aren't you? (newton aycliffe).

I used to live in NA, near woodham golf course and the smash happened right next to the industrial estate just out of Aycliffe Village. I now live in Sheffield, I was just home visiting people.
It was £250 quid, the idiot taxed it and was trying to claim that would make it harder to sell because it now 'looked' like it had more owners. We will have the money back otherwise i'm going to cost that garage a whole lot more business in any way i can. I'll offer to pay for the one months tax that he'll loose out of good faith but thats it.

I'll offer to pay for the one months tax that he'll loose out of good faith but thats it.

very commendable, but i would be inclined to pursue the return of your deposit even WITHOUT having to do this gesture. there must be some form of trading law to protect such a situation?????

shame about the car, remember the HGT oilburner being released and toying with one - until the stilo came on offer! hope you get everything you're due - and so does the alfa driver......

Last edited:
Thanks. I hope so too, i'll be pretty annoyed if he manages to keep his license, given he's put one kid in ICU for a month, and caused some injuries i'd be surprised if he does.
The tax on the car was only 115 so it's only a tenner, it might sweeten the deal and make things easier as at the end of the day he's got the money and we have nothing apart from a verbal agreement. He was new, his boss wasn't pleased and just walked away when we wouldn't budge. I'm tempted to take it up with someone higher up in the chain and point out how damaging this behavior could be to their reputation.

TBH the purpose of a deposit is so that the seller cant sell to anyone else, and so that the buyer is obliged to buy the car, too :confused:

so i can sympathise with the salesman here (even if the car WAS a shed) you should never put a deposit on a car that you have never checked!

If its not your faukt you and your over half should get some whiplash claims going on ;) get you a new one easy :)

Munkul: It was HIS suggestion that a deposit be placed on the car so it would still be there when we came down to look at it, on the premise it was fully refundable if we did not like it.
I can see where you're coming however the daft (yet kind) suggestion was on his part. Personally I wouldn't of bothered and taken my chances with it not being there but that wasn't my call in this case. However I still think hes obligated to follow through on what he said even if his boss wasn't happy that he did this.

It seems more madness has ensued: It wasn't clear but it seems as if the garage for some bizarre reason has signed the V5 on our behalf and returned it to the DVLA? wtf? So they have suggested that we return this to them when it arrives and they will refund the deposit in full. Crazy Shenanigans.

Anyway anyone selling a JTD HGT? (y)

Sorry to all those people who wanted parts of this car, the insurance company are taking an absolute age so I haven't a clue where the car is yet and I don't want to confuse them. I'll post some details a.s.a.p.

Sorry to all those people who wanted parts of this car, the insurance company are taking an absolute age so I haven't a clue where the car is yet and I don't want to confuse them. I'll post some details a.s.a.p.

cheers.

if no-one else has asked you about them, then i would like to make an offer for the rear lights :)

Looks just like my mk2b did back in 2005.

Except the bonnet on mine was further up into the windscreen.

Out of interest, did the doors open when you tried to exit the car after the crash? I had to kick my way out of mine :cry:

They opened most of the way but wouldn't stay far enough open to let me get out as my hand was a bit messed up, a quick kick did the job.

Like I said earlier my useless insurance company have the car and they're taking ages doing the basics, as soon as I can i'll let people know where the car has gone.

I'm guessing the tyre's may be ruined but the back two were brand new about a week before the crash.

I'd be gutted! Such a nice colour aswell! It's amazing how different these look compared to my black mk2 51reg sporting!!!

certainly, the light blue one we got to replace it was never as good, one year older, much slower, worse fuel economy etc.

These days we've got a '05 Fabia VRS and I absolutely love it. All of the things I liked about the Punto HGT diesel with a more solid feel (although the suspension is a bit of a pudding!).

Back