General my main lights

Currently reading:
General my main lights

humper

last night driving home from london my main lights failed so i had to drive with just side lights. i thought it was strange that both lights would go at the same time so i thought in might be the fuse's i have changed them and they still dont work. so im not sure what the problem could be has any one ever had this problem and kwow how to fix it. thanks, graham

Do you mean you have lost
just your main beam headlights?
both dipped headights and main beam headlights?
Does main beam work on the headlight flasher?

Just a reminder to get you home is that your front fogs will work on just sidelights

i see loads of people with fogs on, never blinded me lol :confused:
and be carefull which terms you use, theres sidelights, then dipped then main beam...you'd be supprised at how many people come into halfords and say they want a main beam bulb fitted only to go out and fit it to find they want a dipped beam so now i have to check their car first to save myself some time :rolleyes:

Have you tried your fog lights with just sidelights on Volxstu? They're even lower than the dipped beams. They're not fog penetrating lights as in some cars but just light up the sides of the road rather than anything in front. Even rabbits don't take any notice:)

The newer Bravo has them turning on automatically on one side when you turn to light up that side of the road. Neat.

Last edited:
The foglights on the stilo arent that bright really :D

i have a habit now though of using them on tight windy country roads as they light up the sides of the road really well (y), i dont use them down faster roads or motorways though :p

its better to be driving with at least some lights on rather then none in the dark like some idiots do :eek:

They're even lower than the dipped beams. They're not fog penetrating lights as in some cars but just light up the sides of the road rather than anything in front.
Does such a light even exist :chin:

Don't fog lights simply provide near (kerb) illumination without reflection from snow/fog etc

"Even rabbits don't take any notice:)"
They're way more intelligent these days from when they used to stand in the middle of the road staring at oncoming car lights ;)

last night driving home from london my main lights failed so i had to drive with just side lights. i thought it was strange that both lights would go at the same time so i thought in might be the fuse's i have changed them and they still dont work. so im not sure what the problem could be has any one ever had this problem and kwow how to fix it. thanks, graham

When was the last time you checked that both dip-beam bulbs were working?

Often people don't realise that one has failed until the other side blows. Have you actually changed the bulbs now, or just the fuses? (you can physically see if the bulb filament is blown by looking into the lamp- lights off of course ;))

(y)

Foglights used to be add on driving lights and spot lights like these.
http://www.ksealit.com/spot-lights--lamps-111-c.asp

People used to think they would penetrate fog with "the new halogen bulbs" and amber covers being all the rage but they were set up facing forward and were just dazzle monsters

I think the first front foglights appearing on cars were the same, very dazzling and facing forward. But they were just auxilliary front spotlights in reality.

Now manufacturers seem to have come clean, wised up and fit subdued very dull lighting to the sides so people can see the kerb and cats eyes on either side which is much more effective in bad viz. You couldn't dazzle anyone using them

Personally I hate dazzle and I only use dipped headlights when they are actually necessary. I could really throttle someone in a 4x4 with high headlights driving so close behind that their dipped lights light up the inside of my car rather than the road ahead. Drive far enough back so your dipped lights fall BEFORE the car in front.

I also hate the British habit of drivers flashing headlights to say "thank you". "Well thank YOU for blinding me". That's also contrary to the Highway Code

As I said before, the newer Bravo fog light comes on automatically every time they turn to light up that side of the kerb. Side lights would be a better term for them because that's what they do.

The term "sidelights" is out of the 1930s and the Highway Code should catch up with that too - they're "position lights" not sidelights or parking lights. They're not just for parking and they're not on the sides

Last edited:
i have just had a look over the car and they are the dip beam lights i have looked over all the lighting fuses and they are ok does any one know what relay operates the lights?

It's relay T1 on the body computer fuse panel.
dipped relay and fuses.JPG

Last edited:
thank you very much i will go and try that now give it a clean up and a wiggle. lol
(y)

when i was turning the lights on there was a nocking coming from the relay is this a sign it is broken?i have now taking hte switch out was hardest thing i think i have every done it was realy stiff. but when i took the realy out it looked as if one of the legs has snaped off:bang: it has 4 legs is this the correct amount? worried now lol because it is starting to look expensive

when i was turning the lights on there was a nocking coming from the relay is this a sign it is broken?No that's usually a sign it's working.

i have now taking hte switch out
Which switch? the indicator/headlight switch?

but when i took the realy out it looked as if one of the legs has snaped off:bang: it has 4 legs is this the correct amount?
Don't know, but relays are usually pretty cheap

I'd just trace through the wiring with a circuit tester to see where the power stops

What engine is this as each car can have different wiring diagrams? I'll post up a wiring diag

Check for power at fuses 12 and 13 as they are downstream from the relay. remove the fuse and check for power on one side of the fuse holder. Power there shows power is getting to and going through the relay so you can dismiss switches and relays after that

Last edited:
when i was turning the lights on there was a nocking coming from the relay is this a sign it is broken?i have now taking hte switch out was hardest thing i think i have every done it was realy stiff. but when i took the realy out it looked as if one of the legs has snaped off:bang: it has 4 legs is this the correct amount? worried now lol because it is starting to look expensive

Dont panic (well not yet) :p

As fuse 12 and 13 (according to Deckchair5) are after the relay it only needs 4 legs ((One ground, One switch supply live = these operate the magnet)) and one live supply (from battery) finally supply to the fuse box then to the lights.....

Its normal for a relay to click when turned on/ off tis the electromagnet pulling the contacts together...

best bet is to check the bulbs

I had this problem on my old KA came out of a shop started the car no headlamps turned out both bulbs had gone together

But as a prcautionary note, if you fit a new bulb, also check the fuse isn't blown. Changed a bulb last week and the new one kept blowing fuses. Turned out there was a short in the bulb.

Back