Technical My boy's 2012 1.4 8valve Punto - front brakes & problems

Currently reading:
Technical My boy's 2012 1.4 8valve Punto - front brakes & problems

Well, my boy finally found time to let me get on with those front brakes. Last summer, when I serviced it, I noticed the front brake pads were getting a bit "skinny" and, although the car only does around 15 miles a day taking him to his work in the town centre and home again, I suggested renewing them. When he bought this car back in 2018 I did an end to end check of it and noticed the discs and pads were new at that time. Now, the discs were just about serviceable but not pristine and when I inquired about prices at SRS it seemed only common sense to do the discs too, so I bought both discs and a set of pads for £68 and a few "p" all in. This is the first NAPA branded brake parts I've bought and they look to be of good quality so it's going to be interesting to see how they do in service.

The strip down went well at first with the 7mm Allen headed slider pins coming out without too much of a struggle, the calipers being easily lifted away and the caliper pistons easily being pushed back into their housings. Great, no caliper problems then! the two outer pads were reluctant to come off the caliper casting but a wee bit of a tap with a hammer soon had them off. the inner ones are retained in the hollow piston with spring clips on the pad backing and come out easily - although I later discovered persuading the new ones back into the pistons was a bit of a struggle!

Looking at the pads they had about 2 mm still on them and were showing no signs of separating from the metal backings:

P1100649.JPG

closer examination of the N/S/F inner pad shows it was just about to break through into the depth warning wire:

P1100653.JPG

Unfortunately this wouldn't have done him much good as the wire to that sensor, on the vehicle side of the plug, is broken off. I found this at the summer service and asked Kenny - he of Fiat indy fame - whether this was MOT failable. It's not and the repair looks awkward as the wire has snapped off inside the molding of the plug leaving no wire "tail" to solder too. So, in the meantime I've just taped off the plug and cable tied it out of the way. In fact I think I'll just leave it that way as I'm going to catch pad wear at service intervals anyway. Note to self. Find out if there's an alternative pad available without the warning wires. I've had this in the past and found a considerable saving can be made. Wouldn't affect the warning light either as it only comes on when the wire is earthed - by touching the disc.

All good so far then, now to remove the caliper carriers - held on with "silly" Torx bolts. Luckily I have a set of female Torx sockets so this should be easy? However the heads of the bolts are VERY crusty with rust. So crusty in fact that I at first thought they'd take an E18 socket, which I had to hammer on over the rust. but it went on and felt quite firm. Put my power bar on it and heaved. Oh dear, great big crunch and I think I've rounded it off! Well, it does look rounded, but no, maybe not? Let's try the next size down - E16. Several strokes of the hammer needed to seat it, but actually it seems to have gone on pretty well. So I knocked it sideways off again, take a look at the bolt head, and realize that E16 is actually the right size, it was just the crusty rust which was fooling me. Ok, back in we go with the powerbar on the socket and, Oh dear, this is so tight. I could put a length of scaffold bar on it but I don't want to round it. Then I realise the shape of the Torx bolt head and the E16 socket are such that if I use the Vibroshock tool it can transmit the shock loads directly into the bolt. So this is an ideal job for Vibroshock! Here is the socket assembled onto the tool:it is ready to fit to the air hammer:

P1100655.JPG

and here's the whole shebang ready for action:

P1100654.JPG

Gave it a good rattling, less than a minute, and the bolt comes free quite easily. Hurrah!

All 4 bolts were in similar condition, were given the same treatment and all came out not much the worse for wear.

Each discs is retained to it's hub with two small torx countersunk screws, 3 of which came out quite easily but one needed the vibro treatment and the discs nearly fell off by themselves. The previous ones having been treated to some copa slip by whoever fitted them.

Now on the bench I could see that deciding to renew the discs was definitely the right course of action. Although looking not too bad on the front - outer - faces, bit of surface unevenness and some rust on the edges of the pad contact face:

P1100645.JPG

The inner faces were somewhat worse with deeper scoring and more rust, some actually beginning to reducing the effective pad contact area:

P1100647.JPG

If money had been a critical factor I think you could have just done pads without changing the discs and I'm sure it would have reached braking figures which would have satisfied the MOT - Due next month - but a year or so down the line? No, better just to do the discs too. Also there's one very long and steep hill - Church Hill - on his route to work which gives the brakes a good work out.

It all went back together well - hub faces cleaned and discs degreased and checked for runout, then some blue thread locker on the carrier bolts, more to keep the moisture out of the threads than anything else and torque wrench used on them too. Some ceramic grease on the pad slides and silicon grease on the caliper retaining pins as they "live" in rubber tubes.

On the road test I noticed there's a slight clutch judder developing which wasn't there in the summer (new clutch about 3, maybe 4 years ago and my boy isn't a clutch killer - 1st motion shaft seal? oh I hope not) and the mileage display is flashing all the time. Going to check the battery condition, but it was a new battery about 2 or 3 years ago so shouldn't be that. I'm fearing it's going to be something to do with the Body Control Module which frightens me. I may have to learn how to do more "stuff" (proxi alignment?) with my MES? Kenny's foreman says he'd just let it flash if it was him!

No rest for the "wicked" eh? Still, the brakes are really silky smooth now!

Well, my boy finally found time to let me get on with those front brakes. Last summer, when I serviced it, I noticed the front brake pads were getting a bit "skinny" and, although the car only does around 15 miles a day taking him to his work in the town centre and home again, I suggested renewing them. When he bought this car back in 2018 I did an end to end check of it and noticed the discs and pads were new at that time. Now, the discs were just about serviceable but not pristine and when I inquired about prices at SRS it seemed only common sense to do the discs too, so I bought both discs and a set of pads for £68 and a few "p" all in. This is the first NAPA branded brake parts I've bought and they look to be of good quality so it's going to be interesting to see how they do in service.

The strip down went well at first with the 7mm Allen headed slider pins coming out without too much of a struggle, the calipers being easily lifted away and the caliper pistons easily being pushed back into their housings. Great, no caliper problems then! the two outer pads were reluctant to come off the caliper casting but a wee bit of a tap with a hammer soon had them off. the inner ones are retained in the hollow piston with spring clips on the pad backing and come out easily - although I later discovered persuading the new ones back into the pistons was a bit of a struggle!

Looking at the pads they had about 2 mm still on them and were showing no signs of separating from the metal backings:

View attachment 418038

closer examination of the N/S/F inner pad shows it was just about to break through into the depth warning wire:

View attachment 418039

Unfortunately this wouldn't have done him much good as the wire to that sensor, on the vehicle side of the plug, is broken off. I found this at the summer service and asked Kenny - he of Fiat indy fame - whether this was MOT failable. It's not and the repair looks awkward as the wire has snapped off inside the molding of the plug leaving no wire "tail" to solder too. So, in the meantime I've just taped off the plug and cable tied it out of the way. In fact I think I'll just leave it that way as I'm going to catch pad wear at service intervals anyway. Note to self. Find out if there's an alternative pad available without the warning wires. I've had this in the past and found a considerable saving can be made. Wouldn't affect the warning light either as it only comes on when the wire is earthed - by touching the disc.

All good so far then, now to remove the caliper carriers - held on with "silly" Torx bolts. Luckily I have a set of female Torx sockets so this should be easy? However the heads of the bolts are VERY crusty with rust. So crusty in fact that I at first thought they'd take an E18 socket, which I had to hammer on over the rust. but it went on and felt quite firm. Put my power bar on it and heaved. Oh dear, great big crunch and I think I've rounded it off! Well, it does look rounded, but no, maybe not? Let's try the next size down - E16. Several strokes of the hammer needed to seat it, but actually it seems to have gone on pretty well. So I knocked it sideways off again, take a look at the bolt head, and realize that E16 is actually the right size, it was just the crusty rust which was fooling me. Ok, back in we go with the powerbar on the socket and, Oh dear, this is so tight. I could put a length of scaffold bar on it but I don't want to round it. Then I realise the shape of the Torx bolt head and the E16 socket are such that if I use the Vibroshock tool it can transmit the shock loads directly into the bolt. So this is an ideal job for Vibroshock! Here is the socket assembled onto the tool:it is ready to fit to the air hammer:

View attachment 418040

and here's the whole shebang ready for action:

View attachment 418041

Gave it a good rattling, less than a minute, and the bolt comes free quite easily. Hurrah!

All 4 bolts were in similar condition, were given the same treatment and all came out not much the worse for wear.

Each discs is retained to it's hub with two small torx countersunk screws, 3 of which came out quite easily but one needed the vibro treatment and the discs nearly fell off by themselves. The previous ones having been treated to some copa slip by whoever fitted them.

Now on the bench I could see that deciding to renew the discs was definitely the right course of action. Although looking not too bad on the front - outer - faces, bit of surface unevenness and some rust on the edges of the pad contact face:

View attachment 418042

The inner faces were somewhat worse with deeper scoring and more rust, some actually beginning to reducing the effective pad contact area:

View attachment 418043

If money had been a critical factor I think you could have just done pads without changing the discs and I'm sure it would have reached braking figures which would have satisfied the MOT - Due next month - but a year or so down the line? No, better just to do the discs too. Also there's one very long and steep hill - Church Hill - on his route to work which gives the brakes a good work out.

It all went back together well - hub faces cleaned and discs degreased and checked for runout, then some blue thread locker on the carrier bolts, more to keep the moisture out of the threads than anything else and torque wrench used on them too. Some ceramic grease on the pad slides and silicon grease on the caliper retaining pins as they "live" in rubber tubes.

On the road test I noticed there's a slight clutch judder developing which wasn't there in the summer (new clutch about 3, maybe 4 years ago and my boy isn't a clutch killer - 1st motion shaft seal? oh I hope not) and the mileage display is flashing all the time. Going to check the battery condition, but it was a new battery about 2 or 3 years ago so shouldn't be that. I'm fearing it's going to be something to do with the Body Control Module which frightens me. I may have to learn how to do more "stuff" (proxi alignment?) with my MES? Kenny's foreman says he'd just let it flash if it was him!

No rest for the "wicked" eh? Still, the brakes are really silky smooth now!
Re the spring clip that holds the pad into the brake piston, similar to some Fords , I always put a bit of copperslip on the spring clips then start the pads at an angle to slide into piston, but in fairness you get a lot worse weather than me, so more rust to deal with.

Did "proxi alignment" of BCM on daughters Punto Evo after fitting new BCM and repaired passenger seat sensor, using friends Snap On Zeus, then deleted error codes and it was fairly straight forward, so MES should be no problem :). Prior to that her speedo was flashing and no Stop /Start either.

Re the spring clip that holds the pad into the brake piston, similar to some Fords , I always put a bit of copperslip on the spring clips then start the pads at an angle to slide into piston, but in fairness you get a lot worse weather than me, so more rust to deal with.

Did "proxi alignment" of BCM on daughters Punto Evo after fitting new BCM and repaired passenger seat sensor, using friends Snap On Zeus, then deleted error codes and it was fairly straight forward, so MES should be no problem :). Prior to that her speedo was flashing and no Stop /Start either.
Thanks Mike. In fact the pad spring clips are very similar to the setup on my Ibiza. As you say, set them on a slight angle so one side enters first and then just "muscle" the other side in. Not that difficult but I never get it first go! The Ibiza has these clips on both pads so the pads are assembled into the caliper before you fit the caliper back into place over the disc.

Regarding the BCM. If it does prove to be down to it is it likely that I'll need a new one or do I try doing a Proxi alignment on the existing one first. I'm nervous about proxi alignment because I've heard that, if you get it wrong, you can end up with a car that's going nowhere!

Thanks Mike. In fact the pad spring clips are very similar to the setup on my Ibiza. As you say, set them on a slight angle so one side enters first and then just "muscle" the other side in. Not that difficult but I never get it first go! The Ibiza has these clips on both pads so the pads are assembled into the caliper before you fit the caliper back into place over the disc.

Regarding the BCM. If it does prove to be down to it is it likely that I'll need a new one or do I try doing a Proxi alignment on the existing one first. I'm nervous about proxi alignment because I've heard that, if you get it wrong, you can end up with a car that's going nowhere!
The reason I had to fit a new BCM was previous owner had tried to repair passenger seat sensor and I think created a dead short through the two pins as didn't go via the resister in the circuit.
I tried the proxi alignment with original BCM using Snap On tool, but in the end had to buy an unused boxed one from eBay, I paid £149 for . I didn't bother to check Fiat price as just grateful I saw one with matching part numbers, so fitted it and followed Snap On's uTube video sequence with no issues.
I assume MES will allow a back up copy of data option, maybe Forum MES members can advise you.:)

Does the punto proclaim Blue and Me .?

B+M failure also a common cause of a flashing odometer :-(
So far just noticed the milometer numbers flashing on that test drive (for the brakes). Need to test the battery, maybe try disconnecting it for a while and then connecting up again as some claim this can "sort" it. I'm far from convinced it will though so if it doesn't respond, then scan for DTCs and have a look to at whether the body module is "seeing" the blue and me. Doesn't seem to be running the battery down yet. If it proves to be the Blue and me module - where is it mounted by the way? (2012 1.4 8 valve Punto) - then he doesn't use the Blue and me so I'm wondering if I can just disconnect the module (in case it starts running the battery down in future) and live with the flashing display - which he says has been going on for some time and doesn't bother him.
Sorry for being so ignorant, but what's the B+M?

So far just noticed the milometer numbers flashing on that test drive (for the brakes). Need to test the battery, maybe try disconnecting it for a while and then connecting up again as some claim this can "sort" it. I'm far from convinced it will though so if it doesn't respond, then scan for DTCs and have a look to at whether the body module is "seeing" the blue and me. Doesn't seem to be running the battery down yet. If it proves to be the Blue and me module - where is it mounted by the way? (2012 1.4 8 valve Punto) - then he doesn't use the Blue and me so I'm wondering if I can just disconnect the module (in case it starts running the battery down in future) and live with the flashing display - which he says has been going on for some time and doesn't bother him.
Sorry for being so ignorant, but what's the B+M?
I am as ignorant as you (some would say I am pig ignorant;)) assuming the B&M is the Blue tooth setup for the phone and radio, knowing how they can give trouble I told my daughter not to activate it.
Apparently:-
The system uses a paired Bluetooth-compatible phone to allow users to make hands-free telephone calls, control music, and other functions using voice commands and steering-wheel mounted controls.

B+M is Blue and Me so yeah the blue tooth kit but on these fiats also controls the connection between things like the blue and me tomtom satnav and if you plug a phone in, it has the software and hardware to interrogate the phone for music and things. Some Blue and Me systems also had voice control and would talk back to you (my old 2011 Evo did this) therefore the module is a computer in its own right.

The module sits just above the glovebox on Grande' Evo and later +2012 punto cars but was completely phased out in about 2015/2016 and the last of the puntos had "bluetooth" and a connection for your phone via usb but they dropped the whole blue and me crap.

you could be able to remove or just unplug it then proxi-align the car to tell canbus its not there anymore.

The thing with Blue and Me is you may lose functionality, such as being unable to plug your phone in anymore, no more bluetooth hands free, but if you never used these then it's no hardship.

As for brake pad wear wires. I am not sure on fiats, especially if they're aftermarket parts you can get them without the wires, usual course of action for cars not fitted with the warning light is jus to cut the wire off the pad as close as possible to the pad. I've found they rarely work anyway.

On my old Grande, the disc had developed such a lip on the pad it had cut the wear wires off the pads anyway.

on the Evo it had the wires front and back but at least one on the back the plug had broken off completely from the car wiring loom so I just cut it off, left the other side connected still, one I supposed was better than nothing.

B+M is Blue and Me so yeah the blue tooth kit but on these fiats also controls the connection between things like the blue and me tomtom satnav and if you plug a phone in, it has the software and hardware to interrogate the phone for music and things. Some Blue and Me systems also had voice control and would talk back to you (my old 2011 Evo did this) therefore the module is a computer in its own right.

The module sits just above the glovebox on Grande' Evo and later +2012 punto cars but was completely phased out in about 2015/2016 and the last of the puntos had "bluetooth" and a connection for your phone via usb but they dropped the whole blue and me crap.

you could be able to remove or just unplug it then proxi-align the car to tell canbus its not there anymore.

The thing with Blue and Me is you may lose functionality, such as being unable to plug your phone in anymore, no more bluetooth hands free, but if you never used these then it's no hardship.

As for brake pad wear wires. I am not sure on fiats, especially if they're aftermarket parts you can get them without the wires, usual course of action for cars not fitted with the warning light is jus to cut the wire off the pad as close as possible to the pad. I've found they rarely work anyway.

On my old Grande, the disc had developed such a lip on the pad it had cut the wear wires off the pads anyway.

on the Evo it had the wires front and back but at least one on the back the plug had broken off completely from the car wiring loom so I just cut it off, left the other side connected still, one I supposed was better than nothing.
That is so useful to know. Thanks very much Andy. He doesn't make any use of the B+M (get me!) so unplugging it seems like the ideal option. If I unplug it but don't do the proxy alignment is all that happens is that the mileage goes on flashing?

Regarding the pad depth wire/s I'd already decided it's not worth trying to repair that socket and it's certainly not worth buying a new cable. So I guess it's just going to be back to good old regular "Mk1 eyeball" maintenance procedures, and I'm very happy with that.

PS to the above. The thinking behind the pads with no wires was that usually they were cheaper than the ones with the wires.
Depends if you can get them, manufacturer put those wires on most pads now even cars that don’t have and never were fitted with a wear indicator. I think it means that the manufacturing process remains the same from one set of pads to another

Back