General Musings of a Bug Muckanik

Currently reading:
General Musings of a Bug Muckanik

I decided to start this thread in response to MM's suggestions regarding keeping the ole girl going.
As always I drift off on tangents but try to make my writing as humorous as possible.
My adage as always been: If you leave someone smiling you have made a friend.
Naturally it doesn't always work, but I don't let that get me down, if they want to be sour pussies who am I to deny them? I haven't got either the time nor energy to waste changing their mind set.

OK, onward: These are additions to MM's list of what to look out for and address to keep your car running sweet.

Clutch master cylinder spring, these can cause a lot of stress to some people especially if said people are not very mechanical. They happily do their job with no fuss until one day you chuck your size 9 into action to go somewhere nice and your boot hits the floor. That's ok, but the bloody clutch pedal stays there as if sulking and saying to you 'I don't feel like playing anymore'. The job itself is not what you want to face on a typical British summers day - gales, wind, cold etc but when you have completed the job you think to yourself, that wasn't as bad as I thought it might be - on the other hand you might fancy getting the heater warmed up with a gallon of petrol and a match!

Replacement of the clutch slave cylinder: no problem at all , a few bits to move, (the more you shift the easier life gets) BUT, when it comes bleeding the finished slave change, that's when the fun really kicks in. We (the old codgers on here) have learnt by pain and frustration that it will turn one of two ways: Either it's an easy breeze or (more likely) it's one of the most stressful, frustrating jobs you ever started.
The good thing about the clutch bleed process is: It's excellent training for the ABS bleeding at brake fluid change time (which should be every two years, remember?, yours wouldn't be the first to be still running 10 year old brake fluid - you want to see how the water attacks the internal pipe and cylinder surfaces!)
Water in the brake fluid you ask? OH yeah, brake fluid is Anhydrous, which means it draws moisture from the atmosphere and collects in the brake/clutch systems. It's a sneaky little infiltrator. It then happily and quietly corrodes everything from the inside out. The first you know about it is when you sling your boot on the brake pedal to stop and find that the car doesn't want to. That's called 'trouser changing time' - it's that time gap between when you fancy stopping and when you actually do stop

Alternator: now here's a subject that's taken the skin off a few knuckles. They are a pig and make no mistake, it doesn't matter how butch you pretend to be it's still a pig. I've done a fair bit round our beloved Multi's in my short stay on this planet, but the alternator is still my favourite to leave well alone.
The problem is that it's such an awkward part to replace. The amount of junk that has to be got out of the way is ridiculous. Offside wheel, wheel liners, probably (and easier with it off) the crank pulley, then, with all the space of a sardine can you can float around the 3 most awkwardly placed bolts you will ever come across to gain access to your patient. Don't get cocky just yet tho, cos you ain't got it out yet, that takes 10 years training with Houdini to get right. And when you've completed that little job you really believe there isn't a job on any car that's too much for you. You are then allowed to celebrate in time honoured fashion - with a brew.
To be continued...

I decided to start this thread in response to MM's suggestions regarding keeping the ole girl going.
As always I drift off on tangents but try to make my writing as humorous as possible.
My adage as always been: If you leave someone smiling you have made a friend.
Naturally it doesn't always work, but I don't let that get me down, if they want to be sour pussies who am I to deny them? I haven't got either the time nor energy to waste changing their mind set.

OK, onward: These are additions to MM's list of what to look out for and address to keep your car running sweet.

Clutch master cylinder spring, these can cause a lot of stress to some people especially if said people are not very mechanical. They happily do their job with no fuss until one day you chuck your size 9 into action to go somewhere nice and your boot hits the floor. That's ok, but the bloody clutch pedal stays there as if sulking and saying to you 'I don't feel like playing anymore'. The job itself is not what you want to face on a typical British summers day - gales, wind, cold etc but when you have completed the job you think to yourself, that wasn't as bad as I thought it might be - on the other hand you might fancy getting the heater warmed up with a gallon of petrol and a match!

Replacement of the clutch slave cylinder: no problem at all , a few bits to move, (the more you shift the easier life gets) BUT, when it comes bleeding the finished slave change, that's when the fun really kicks in. We (the old codgers on here) have learnt by pain and frustration that it will turn one of two ways: Either it's an easy breeze or (more likely) it's one of the most stressful, frustrating jobs you ever started.
The good thing about the clutch bleed process is: It's excellent training for the ABS bleeding at brake fluid change time (which should be every two years, remember?, yours wouldn't be the first to be still running 10 year old brake fluid - you want to see how the water attacks the internal pipe and cylinder surfaces!)
Water in the brake fluid you ask? OH yeah, brake fluid is Anhydrous, which means it draws moisture from the atmosphere and collects in the brake/clutch systems. It's a sneaky little infiltrator. It then happily and quietly corrodes everything from the inside out. The first you know about it is when you sling your boot on the brake pedal to stop and find that the car doesn't want to. That's called 'trouser changing time' - it's that time gap between when you fancy stopping and when you actually do stop

Alternator: now here's a subject that's taken the skin off a few knuckles. They are a pig and make no mistake, it doesn't matter how butch you pretend to be it's still a pig. I've done a fair bit round our beloved Multi's in my short stay on this planet, but the alternator is still my favourite to leave well alone.
The problem is that it's such an awkward part to replace. The amount of junk that has to be got out of the way is ridiculous. Offside wheel, wheel liners, probably (and easier with it off) the crank pulley, then, with all the space of a sardine can you can float around the 3 most awkwardly placed bolts you will ever come across to gain access to your patient. Don't get cocky just yet tho, cos you ain't got it out yet, that takes 10 years training with Houdini to get right. And when you've completed that little job you really believe there isn't a job on any car that's too much for you. You are then allowed to celebrate in time honoured fashion - with a brew.
To be continued...
Hi very entertaining I must say 😆 you brought a big smile to my choos😀 not so the brake fluid change....another job that needs doing when I finally get my old gall back long live your bug !!👍

Back