Technical Multipla Rear Swing Arms

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Rear Swing Arms

ajs0303

Hi,

I've been lurking around the forum for a while now and have been able to make use of lots of the excellent advice, but now I have a query that I need some help on.

Bearings have gone in both rear swing arms on our Multipla, diesel from 2001 Y reg.

Not been able to find anyone willing to under take fitting the bearing replacement kit so have been looking to see if I can get some new arms relatively cheaply as this might be a bit more straightforward to request my tame mechanic to undertake.

Euro Car parts list part number 624580071 and 624580081 (I Would have posted the URL but I'm too new)

When I use my reg number they come up, phoned them to double check they accept ABS sensor and they say they are for a later chassis number onwards, has anyone else come across any differences on these arms beyond ABS or not?

The price after exchange + 25% off from Euro at the moment would mean just over £100 for both, compared to £100 each from Shop 4 Parts. I know Shop 4 Parts are good and have bought stuff there in the past, but when it is potentially 50% cheaper somewhere else I can't ignore that.

If anyone knows of someone willing to do the bearing fix near Taunton in Somerset that might be an option too.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum!

The main drawback with replacing the entire arm (as opposed to just the bearings) is the very strong likelyhood that you'll also need to buy new ABS sensors as well. They cost around £40-50 per side. Unless you're very, very lucky the old ones will break when you try to remove them from the existing swingarms - they are only made of plastic and become brittle with time.

TBH, I don't think there's much difference between the work involved in changing the the entire swingarm and just the bearings. Unless your swingarms are in a poor state, I'd just do the bearings.

Last edited:
...TBH, I don't think there's much difference between the work involved in changing the the entire swingarm and just the bearings...
That depends entirely on the state of the bearings and pivot bolts.
If they're as bad as mine were, then it's almost certainly a subframe-out job.
If the bolts can be knocked through fairly easily, then it'd be much cheaper to replace just the bearings (as kits).
If you remove the nuts, then try knocking the bolt out, you'll know if it's going to be do-able or not by how readily the bolts move.
I deformed the sides of the subframe trying to shift my bolts, first with a sledgehammer, then an 8-ton hydraulic ram...:bang:

If your bolts move freely, that's 90% of the job done, the rest is just fairly simple disassembly and reassembly.

But irrespective of whether you change the arms or just the bearings, those bolts have to come out. That's why I say there's not much difference in the work involved - the (potentially) worst bit still has to be done.

With hindsight, I think whichever route you chose, the job is easier with the subframe removed. It was lucky coincidence for me that I was removing the subframe to do other work anyway, but if I need to change the arm bearings again in future (fingers crossed I won't), I think I'd remove the subframe. It sounds like a major proceedure, but in practice it's pretty simple.

If I hadn't been there and done it, I'd agree with you. I was lucky - the swing arm bolts came out easily on both sides - but after the fact, I could see that if they had been stuck, it would be miles easier to get at them with the subframe off. As it happens, I didn't strip out the swing arms until I'd removed the subframe.

Equally, things would have been very different if I had the luxury of a ramp to improve access, but I didn't. There's little more to dropping the subframe than unhooking the exhaust rubber, disconnecting the two transverse brake pipes (which can shear all too easily, but don't take much to fix), unplug the connectors for the ABS sensors in the rear door sills, then remove the 4 bolts that hold the subframe in place. Two of us working on a gravel driveway had the subframe off and the swing arms removed from the subframe, along with all the attendant clips and fixings, inside 40 minutes.

Dear ajs0303 - I am having same problems as yourself, I think - AND in Somerset, and having a REALLY HARD TIME finding someone to help me!!! I wondered if you'd had any success as yet as your posting was a week ago and I've only started looking again since last Thursday - only ONE garage out of all I phoned has called me back, and the estimate has wiped the smile from MY face! Did you manage to find a garage to help, I wonder - and, if so, would you mind very much letting me know who you found 'cos I could really do with some help!! Have found, by the way, Fiat Members are FANTASTIC!, and have been VERY helpful, informative and supportive, but finding someone locally to appreciate my little Multi's good points is VERY difficult!!! The only garage who has given me an estimate to actually carry out the repair has, this morning, given me a price of £470.00 and told me just the bushes (are these also known as the bearings?) CANNOT be replaced and I have to replace the complete trailing arm (x 2), these they can get reconditioned only! It's school holidays and we are completely without transport! If you managed to find someone to help I'd be SO GRATEFUL to be able to ask them to help me too ... Thank you so much, in advance and ... living in hope!! :) IsThisGoodbyeMrT?

The bolt that runs through the arm can easily be removed with a 1mm cutting disc on a angle grinder. This is how i did mine. There is a 5mm gap on the inside which will allow you to get the thin cutting disc in. I also ground off the head of the bolt to make it easier to wiggle out the arm.
All in all took me around 2-2.5 hrs and that's only cuz I've got a tea belly. :)

Dear Gavlar, Just seen your reply - thank you so much! Garages here just don't want to get involved though, I'm sure. This is a never-ending nightmare! We have absolutely no one to turn to and, even paying for the repair isn't going to happen, it seems - unless I give in and pay for either a complete secondhand subrame (don't know I'll be much better off - if at all!) then pay for that to be fitted, OR pay the EXTORTIONATE price of the only garage who 'phoned me back! I've never had problems like this before! Hoping for a miracle! - Oh! BTW - I meant to say, I'm a tea addict too - keep saying I ought to have mine fed by drip ... poss from 250gln bowser!!

Happy Easter!

PS - Thinking of printing signs now to stick in Multi windows saying "Help! - My wheels are coming off, I need new bushes, is there anyone out there, please, who would help me?!!"

Dear Conanhoward - THAT's a FANTASTIC price! Can I ask - would I be able to spray WD40 on bolts and leave it overnight to ease removal? There's got to be a way I can get these bushes done somehow ... ? I just need a reasonably-priced, willing garage ... :'(

Thanks everyone for the advice, as of today the bearings have been replaced! After searching on here and seeing good feedback about L and B Autos in Somerton Louis has sorted it for me. Looking at the state of the bearings that came out it is no surprise that the handling on our Multipla is now better than it has ever been since we've owned it.

IsThisGoodbyeMrT check out www​.luislbautos.co.uk and give them a call I am sure he can sort it for you.

The only challenge I now have is needing a replacement subframe as there is an MOT failure sized whole in mine, anyone know of one for sale?

Jtdman on this forum has a brand new one for sale. Only problem is that he's in Liverpool, but it's a lot cheaper than buying one from Fiat. Try sending him a PM.

Dear Conanhoward - THAT's a FANTASTIC price! Can I ask - would I be able to spray WD40 on bolts and leave it overnight to ease removal? There's got to be a way I can get these bushes done somehow ... ? I just need a reasonably-priced, willing garage ... :'(
spray with plus gas,or other penetrating oil. wd40 is just a water displacement spray . if bolts are still tight heat them with a fine tipped blow lamp. mine came out after heating ..Conan

Thanks everyone for the advice, as of today the bearings have been replaced! After searching on here and seeing good feedback about L and B Autos in Somerton Louis has sorted it for me. Looking at the state of the bearings that came out it is no surprise that the handling on our Multipla is now better than it has ever been since we've owned it.

IsThisGoodbyeMrT check out www​.luislbautos.co.uk and give them a call I am sure he can sort it for you.

The only challenge I now have is needing a replacement subframe as there is an MOT failure sized whole in mine, anyone know of one for sale?
Dear ajs0303,

Thank you so much for your suggestion - goodness' knows how I managed to miss it! I ended-up going elsewhere after being quoted £317.54 for rear trailing arm bushes (bearings), rear shoes, cylinders, handbrake cables - went along, was without Multi for 5 hours (?!!) - left to wander around town with my children getting bored stiff. Returned to garage - Multi nowhere to be seen!! Waited in office - presented with bill ... £601.94!!! Apparently the ABS Sensors had broken when removed in order to fit rear trailing arms - complete!! A very costly and upsetting experience at that garage - however, a garage that would not be easily forgotten as, upon reaching our destination off the M5 there was a knocking sound from the rear - visited a garage and discovered locking wheel nut nowhere to be seen, remaining three wheel nuts loose and about to follow the first - wherever that may have rested!!

Not too long after that 'incident' I found front coil spring failed MOT - replaced by different garage!! Not long after that there was dreadful grinding noise and loss of almost all gearbox oil and Multi has sat in parking space - taxed and insured!! - since mid-July. Couldn't get anyone to help me - until now!! Found a local garage willing to help!! Whew!! Also found wonderful company who refurbish gearboxes, and some smashing people on Ebay!! I have noted, however, the wonderful garage you suggest in Somerton!! I do wonder, though, if I'm going to be seeking a pedal bike rather than continuing with Mr T!!

Thank you so much for your suggestion, however, and I am VERY sorry not to have seen it and thanked you before - and also VERY sorry for myself as I probably would have saved a LOT of unnecessary expenditure and had a MUCH safer journey along the M5!!

Very Kindest Regards,

IsThisGoodbyeMrT?

Back