MultijetII, 'second generation', Multiair???

Currently reading:
MultijetII, 'second generation', Multiair???

Ulpian

Ulpian
OK: I give up.

Can somebody please clarify: Does 'second generation' when referring to the new Diesels also mean MultijetII? I know the new 1.3 MultijetII is, er MultijetII, but latest iterations of the bigger Diesels are not so designated. Even when Fiat sells them as second generation and Euro 5 compliant no mention is made of the new injection technology. Are all new Fiat Diesels MultijetII - or not?

Also, Multiair: which Fiat petrols actually have the new valve trains? I know some of the 1.4 turbos do, but the new 1.8 engine, although hailed as a breakthrough in everything, isn't actually sold as Multiair. The Twinair 0.9 soon to be released IS Multiair of course, and that engine is a module of the bigger 1.8, so?????

What's the truth?

Oh, and do the Multiairs need a very specific engine oil that only Selenia makes? There is some confusion here too.

The way things are I am getting confused. I hope that within a year there is consistency in all Fiat engines, and all will be updated to the latest technology - or am I living in dream world?

Last edited:
Can't answer the Multijet 2 stuff yet as I've not read-up on it and the Elearn Server is down for maintenance.

MultiAir is currently only on the 1.4 16v engine (and soon the TwinAir when it arrives) and is recognised by the power output- 1.4 N/A MultiAir is 105bhp, 1.4 Tjet MultiAir is 135bhp. The 1.8 16v is currently not MultiAir- it uses a normal 16v, twin cam system with variable valve-timing and various engineering developments to obtain it's "breakthrough".

MultiAirs use Selenia K Pure Energy (ACEA C3), and must never be run on a different grade of oil as it will void the warranty on the MultiAir system. Any warranty claims will be subject to analysis of the oil. Technically anything rated to ACEA C3 and 5w-40 should be ok.

Try here for the Selenia oils and their recommended use- http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=157&Itemid=248

HTH. :)

Thanks. I think I knew this, although the oil clarification was interesting.

I can't understand why, since Multiair has now launched, all Fiat engines are not being converted immediately, and the 'new' 1.8 comes without it?

Ditto the Diesels. 'New generation' is not the same as MultijetII, is it? They confuse with talk of Euro 5 compliance.

I will wait until they get their engines sorted and all of them updated before I consider looking at a new car.

The thing with MultiAir is the amount of work and development needed to completely rework the cylinder head for the system.

I suspect the TwinAir and 1.4 MultiAir were already at an advanced stage before the 1.8 was first drawn-up, and with it being a replacement for the loathesome Vauxhall petrol units, it's not surprising that MultiAir was left-off for the time being to ensure it was ready for full production. Also, the way in which both camshaft variators are utilised is a vital element to the quick spool-up of the turbo, something which would be tricky with MultiAir as it only uses a single camshaft. ;)

It would also be such a huge redesign to fit it to the 8v engines that it renders the idea uneconomical- especially with the TwinAir capable of similar power outputs.

For the time being at least it's restricted to the 1.4 16v, though no doubt there is a version of the 1.8 in development somewhere, though seeing how long Uni/TwinAir has been in development- I wouldn't hold your breath! :cry:

Right, Multijet 2. Currently fitted to the Punto Evo diesels and will be in the new Doblo too. There's a large number of engineering changes to the engines, though visually you'd struggle to notice any difference. The main modifications are the EGR system, the DPF being mounted immediately after the turbo, and a new diesel pressure regulator and injectors now capable of 8 injections per firing stroke. The changes make the engines almost Euro 6 ready now.

If you look under the bonnet of a 1.3 Punto Evo and compare it to an 'older' 1.3 multijet you can see the redesigned airbox, turbo rotated 180deg and close-coupled DPF.

Thanks for the clarity Danny.

One question: the 1.3 is indeed Multiair, and you say the new Doblo has this engine. Fine. But does MultijetII include the 1.6 an d 2.00 Diesels also on the new Doblo, or only the 1.3?

I ask, because a salesman has told me they are all MultijetII, and he also told me the new Doblo sits on a Punto chassis, when I know that he means the Qubo :p

Thanks for your help here; I am getting there. the information about the 1.8 petrol was interesting. The Twinair is a module of that engine, but as you say, only single cam: interesting.

Thanks for the clarity Danny.

One question: the 1.3 is indeed Multiair, and you say the new Doblo has this engine. Fine. But does MultijetII include the 1.6 an d 2.00 Diesels also on the new Doblo, or only the 1.3?

I ask, because a salesman has told me they are all MultijetII, and he also told me the new Doblo sits on a Punto chassis, when I know that he means the Qubo :p

Thanks for your help here; I am getting there. the information about the 1.8 petrol was interesting. The Twinair is a module of that engine, but as you say, only single cam: interesting.

Ah, no- the Diesels are not MultiAir. Definately the Euro 5 1.3 and 2.0 Diesels in the Doblo are Multijet II, but only the Cargo is getting the 1.3 engine. I'm fairly certain the 1.6 is too, but I don't have the info with me.

There's a varied selection among the engines- Euro 4, Euro 5, with/without DPF (E4 only), some on 18k service intervals, some on 21k. Make sure you take time to check the spec list carefully. ;)

You're right, the new Doblo is a completely new Fiat chassis (no Peugoet/Citroen rubbish) with only a few minor parts carried over/borrowed from other Fiats. :)

The salesman showed me the Fiat printout of the Doblo MPV specs, and there was no 1.3 Diesel on it. He told me that it would only be getting the 1.6 and 2.00 as the 1.3 was considered too weak. Both 1.6 and 2.00 are MultijetII he said? I'll keep checking on that...you give me confidence though.

The Cargo certainly is getting the 1.3 though.

If they would fit the 1.4 Multiar petrol turbo, with 135hp, into the Doblo they might have a very good petrol motor that many people would buy. As it is, there is a base 1.4 non-Multiar, which will be replaced by a Multiar one in six months, apparently; but it is underpowered for this car.

Come back in a year and see how it's developed, is the best plan for me at least.

And thanks.

Back