General MOT passed

Currently reading:
General MOT passed

croma passed its mot with out even an advisory :slayer:

Tester was very impressed with the build quality of the croma first time he had seen one :)

first time ive used this place too, i didn't want to use the place ive used for over 20 years because they have 2 new staff who fish for work.

Great feeling when it passes 1st time. Got mine in a couple of weeks but have had to change the broken rear springs and rear upper control arms plus 2 new tyres, I agree with you though, some garages look for work and I also try to avoid these, they are usually the ones that offer cheap test fees I have found.

I agree with you though, some garages look for work and I also try to avoid these, they are usually the ones that offer cheap test fees I have found.

This is why I always use a local council MOT testing station. They charge the full £54 rate but are never looking for work as they do not repair vehicles. I've always found they go the extra mile to get it right, support their customer (not fleece them) and to be down to earth honest in their testing and reporting.

If I get failed (never happened yet) by one of these testing stations then I know it is a genuine fail beyond all doubt. Marginal/borderline cases will normally be an "advisory" and they will take their time to actually show you the failing part/component and explain why it has failed if you ask them.

Halfords Autocentres regularly offer 50% off via their website, currently £27.42. Cheap is fine for a tightwad like me.

They did advise something on mine, can't remember what. After asking I was told it's nothing to worry about. So certainly not pushing for extra work, I guess just being cautious.

passed again but 2 advisories this year,
very slight play in osr wheel bearing
very slight play on ns steering rack drum stick, can you buy now drum sticks for cromas?
You can get the steering rack inner tie rod from seekpart24.com. (See picture below) I recently purchased a rear wiper motor from them and received excellent service. They are Germany based but English is no problem, what is better they sell original quality parts at a reasonable price, my wiper motor was around 30% cheaper than from a Fiat dealer.

Attachments

• Tie rod.JPG
    Tie rod.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 33
You can get the steering rack inner tie rod from seekpart24.com. (See picture below) I recently purchased a rear wiper motor from them and received excellent service. They are Germany based but English is no problem, what is better they sell original quality parts at a reasonable price, my wiper motor was around 30% cheaper than from a Fiat dealer.

thanks, i put the part number from there into google and found same part in the uk, the same number matches vectra C too :)

Mine has just passed the MOT again with no advisories :D although I was a nervous wreck while it was being done, I am beginning to get a slight knocking from the front suspension (74,000 miles), it will be the lower front arms I think, I have been told these are prone to wear at around the 80K mark, he didn't mention them however so I can do those in my own time.

Have a look on eurocarparts.com as they've got a selection of rods and arms which might be suitable.

Thanks Brian, I already had a good look around, I have found a site called mister-auto.co.uk that has a good range of parts including the wishbones at three different price levels, they have other Croma parts as well. Euro parts also has some but I think they only had the one side.

croma passed its mot with out even an advisory :slayer:
I've not had an advisory in over 20 years ( to the best of my knowledge) with at least 3 MOTs per year on average. If I have then it is so rare it never gets on my memory or radar.

I think one aspect of our beloved Cromas is that that they "fail" as opposed to wear out. Unless you are unlucky to have a failure on the way to the MOT then good maintenance and inspection will see you through OK.

I often think we all have a subliminal fear with the Croma and expect some sort of advisory at every MOT.

Back