General MOT exemption-six months on-anyone changed their opinions?minds.

Currently reading:
General MOT exemption-six months on-anyone changed their opinions?minds.

The point of the "Classic Friendly" vehicle check is not so much "its validity" as the fact that it gives the vehicle a proper check-over. The 'C/F' check list is 4 pages long, and carefully laid out so that all aspects of the vehicles condition is checked. The cost (£54) was set by the garage that I worked out so that it deliberatley wasn't any more expensive than an MOT (and VERY few MOT only examinations make money for the garage---the money is made carrying out the rectification work found to be required during the test). Having been an MOT examiner at one time in my life, and having helped carry out 'C/F' checks, I can honestly say that in some ways the 'C/F' test is the more comprehensive of the 2. Our examiner is a very experienced mechanic who has worked on 'Classics' for many years.
On this Forum we are lucky in that we have a good number of experienced mechanics/engineers/restorers who have the facilities AND skills to keep their classic car a in good, roadworthy condition. However sadly, a lot of 'Classic vehicle' owners do not have these facilities or skills and therefore I stand by my belief (which I have ALWAYS held) that any car being driven on the Queens highway requires a regular check-over by an experienced, independent and in many cases sympathetic examiner.
I did my apprenticeship on M/Benz cars, and then was instrumental in setting-up (from scratch) 2 M/Benz dealerships in East Anglia, which was when I was an MOT examiner---I clearly remember the 1/2 day training session from the DVLA representative as to how to carry out a MOT!
The problem with a lot of 'modern' MOT stations is that the experience of the examiners is getting farther and farther away from the build and work specifications of 'classic vehicles'----a lot of them have never worked on (or even driven) cars with points ignition, drum brakes, leaf springs, a seperate chassis and carburettors---let alone rod and/or cable brakes!
Maybe the system set up by Fuzz Townsend hasn't been as succesfull, or long-lived as he had hoped for, but the check system is still in place and gives the owner of a 'Classic' (of any make) an alternative to having the car examined at a MOT station. I rest my case.

Your examiner might be very experienced and worked on classics for many years. If I walked into your garage as a new customer, who knows nothing about the technical training or experience of your examiner. How do I know he is competent to carry out the inspection? I know nothing about him. Its good that it works for you and gives you peace of mind because you have worked with him and got to learn how much experience he has.

I could go and start a classic car business tomorrow without any relevant technical qualifications and then offer these inspections.

I agree that there are a lot of competent mechanically minded people on this forum who can keep their cars roadworthy. I think the argument has been proven, which is what allowed the original MoT exemption, that the vast majority of classic cars that are owned by enthusiasts and that they tend to keep their cars in very good condition, do very limited annual mileage and are in most cases are probably in better condition than a lot of moderns on the road.

I think that the current MoT examiners course is a little longer than half a day? With cars being far more complex nowadays.

I would imagine the reason the scheme set up by Fuzz failed is because there was very little demand for it? Probably because the majority of owners of exempt cars, that still want some form of annual test, preferred to stick to the tried and tested MoT path?

I think that the simple answer is that you haven’t changed your mind, just gone down a different route to achieve it.

Back