Technical Mk1 Front wipers broken

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 Front wipers broken

Laura86

Hi guys am after a bit of advice, my front wipers have stopped working the back one and washers are ok. Ive done a search through the forum and seems this is a common problem.

I suspected it to be the motor after checkin the fuses were ok, bought a one off ebay with the linkages and have just fitted but unfortunately this hasn;t worked.

Would the next step be to try a new stalk?

There was a burning smell in the car after the wipers stopped working, would this suggest a link to the problem?

Thanks

Thanks Dave il try a new set of stalks, if that doesnt work where is the relay locted?

Thanks

Before buying any more parts, a multi-meter would be a smart move - beg, borrow or god forbid buy one (they're pretty cheap from a Maplins of Halfords, and well worth having in your toolbox for car and house).
Access the wiper motor and disconnect the wiring block. A wiring diagram is handy (a good tip is to draw the block and mark it up as you discover what each connection is for). Get a mate to start the car and work through the wiper settings. Prod around for the correct sighting of 12V, whether guided by the wiring diagram, or trial & error.

If you get all the correct results, the problem is downstream in the motor assembly. Reconnect, try the wipers, and see whether the motor case gets hot (indicates the motor has seized). I appreciate this is unlikely, but it is possible.

If you don't find your 12V readings, the problem is upstream. Move back to the relay (sorry, can't tell you where it is), and repeat the exercise. If the inputs are all there, the relay is your suspect (although it could just possibly be a broken wire between relay and motor). The smell does suggest the relay.

If you still have no success, repeat on the stalks.

Back