Technical Mk1 85SX 16v & Mk1 Sporting

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 85SX 16v & Mk1 Sporting

[email protected]

<font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono"><font face="Andale Mono"></font id="Andale Mono">
Does anyone know if these two have the same engine. I recently e-mailed K&N about an 57i Induction Kit for my Mk1 85SX and they said that they don't do one ;). But when checking their site it seems they do one for the Mk 1 sporting and I tought they were the same engine[V].

Does anyone know for sure if this will fit?

If this isn't the case can anyone suggest a good induction kit or filter?

Cheers :D

sporting's were 1.6 8v up to 1997, and 1.2 16v afterwards, which is the same engine as yours yes, mated to a close-ratio gearbox for more performance.

It's highly likely they only do a kit for the 1.6

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

did the mk1 1.2 sporting have a 6 speed. there was one model with 6 speed wasn't there?

99 Brava 100 HSX with not enough mods

Just had another look at the website and the the descrpition of the kit is for: Fiat Punto 1.2L 16v Dohc 86bhp May'97 to Oct'00 (the link for the installation is http://kandn.com/57i/57-0508.pdf)

So that should be my engine and the fitting instructions look like it aswell.

I'm getting more baffled the more I look into this. Can anone suggest an alternative filter if K&N don't want me to give them my money?

Just found one on a site aswell and that a
"K&N 57i filter conversion kit to suit Sporting models from 1997 to 1999."

So would that now fit??

Link for that one is http://www.fastfiat.com/shop.htm?target=dept_53.html&lang=en-gb

And its at the bottom of the filter kits before the elements.

I'm pretty sure it's the same thing then. At first when you said they'd said they didn't stock one for the 85 engine I thought that left only the old 1.6, but as they quite clearly stock one for the 85 engine (1.2 16v), that has to be it.

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

Cheers for that, glad someone else thinks K&N are not sure what they are on about.

I think the best bet is to get one and see.

Cheers Again,

PS. Any idea where is the best / cheapest place to buy one?

The 6-speed 'box was, I believe, fitted to some 1.1 and/or 1.2 Puntos to give beter fuel economy, but it's a pretty rare item.

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

Yeah, in the 1.1s only to try and get more performance from the baby FIRE engine :) It's known as the 55EL and IIRC had SX trim. It wasn't very popular here and didn't sell very well, so is quite rare.

God knows what it's like to drive. You need frequent enough gear changes in the 5-speed 55 thanks to the low gearing. Maybe the 6th gear is just a comfort gear so the engine sits at lower revs on the motorway. I'd imagine you'd have to change into 5th to overtake anything other than a snow plough at that stage though, or to make it up a hill.

According to the Punto handbook, you can pull away in 2nd with the 6-speed box, and it's designed to use less fuel, so my guess is that it's 6th is a bit taller than the 5-speed's 5th (like you said, a comfort gear for cruising), and it's 1st must be shorter than the 5-speed's 1st (which would account for the quicker 0-60). It's 0-60 is 15.5 seconds according to the Parker's website, and that claims 16s for the 55S and 19.4s for the 55SX (which is clearly a lot of crap as the S and SX are mechanically the same ).
I've never seen an EL advertised, but if I ever do I'm going for a test drive just out of curiosity!

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

urm i thought the 5 speed 55sx and S were 14.8 in book 0-60? i've hit it in 13 with a m8 in my 55sx, and 12 by myslef, but thats really razzin the guts outta it! not to be done foten! lol

I got those figures off the Parker's website, and I think they're crap too! Just used them as an example to show that the 6-speed hits 60 quicker than the 5. I'm pretty sure my 55SX will do it in 12 or 13, maybe less with it's K&N!

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin

Jonny, c'mon ;)

There's no way a Punto 55 can hit 60 in 12~ seconds. I reckon the gearchange penalises the 'official' time by at least half a second for a start.

Hmm, I dunno...it gets a move on once it's warmed up and the K&N helps! And I'm talking thrashed to 60, i.e. no sympathy for clutch/gearbox/driveshafts etc. :p
If the book claims 14.8 (can't check as my book's at me parents' house!) then you can probably knock around a second off that, as manufacturers always quote a slightly longer time to avoid looking stupid in magazine tests. OK, maybe 12s is pushing it, but low 13's should be possible...one day I'll get round to timing my car!

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin

Back