minilites from X1-9

Currently reading:
minilites from X1-9

hal9000

Hello..I just pulled a set of minilite wheels from an X1-9 at the local scrap yard...I'm trying to gather any information I can on them..the "new" minilite web page isn't much help...wheels are stamped 11-74-SM so I'm guessing they were made Nov. of '74...any links/contact/info would be great..thanks!
minilite1.jpg

minilite2.jpg

Got pictures of the 11-74 markings?

I would say that related to the wheel specs more than manufactuer date as IIRC the X19 was never around then.

Liam

I don't think the minilites were originally on the car...they were mounted with these bolts..at first I thought the wheels were pcd 100 and the bolts were wobbly's..now I'm not sure..maybe just an old shank style and pcd of 98..i think the SM means they're Minilite Sports Wheels which the official minilites web page states were made in the 70's to make them more affordable..the new original Minilite Sports wheels have an MS part number..maybe they just flipped it
minilite4-1.jpg

lug.jpg

The X1/9 was definitely in existance in '74 but the wheel spec has been around longer as it is consistent to many Fiats before that date.

Generically the older fiats use a 98mm PCD, hubcentric fit with 4 tapered head bolts to assist in accurate centering.

The bolts shown are bizarre, they appear to be the tapered fit but with a flat seat on the head - the reality is likely to be that the holes have been redrilled to get the 98mm PCD so most likely they were originally on a Ford with 100mm PCD (or similar). The taper is a red herring - it is just to reduce the diameter of the shaft down to the regular thread size. The location of the wheel is down to the thicker parallel shoulder off the bolt while clamping is down to the washer. The Fiat bolts do all this in one go with the taper - not saying it is a better system, just easier to work with.

The origin of the wheels (other than being made by minilite) will be lost to record.

Back