Mental Health Issues

Currently reading:
Mental Health Issues

Devious

Multipla Mac Daddy Jon
Just a random, out of interest really....

Has/or does anyone suffer from or have family/friend suffering from mental health issues?
Whether Depression, Anxiety, through to Annoerxia or Bullimia...

I suffered from severe clinical depression, was medicated, had counselling etc.

I now work Mental Health for the NHS (after 4 years of training at uni) and find it a rewarding and challenging role and get a lot from "giving something back" to those who need my help the most.

I ask because a few weeks ago, I noticed some subtle changes in my sister in law. I voiced my concerns and 2 days ago she was diagnosed with depression.

I know the national statistics for MenHealth but wondered how accurate they were in relation to "real world"

Not expecting you to post the ins and outs, the why's and where's etc.

Just thought it could be an interesting, thought provoking topic and hey, who knows, it might spur someone to go to their GP if they relate to something posted.

For the record, I AM NOT A GP NOR PSYCHIATRIST AND THERE IS NO CLINICAL MERIT OR DIAGNOSIS IN THIS THREAD.

Ta

in school i was regarded as "the naughty boy". i have a thing called dyspraxia.

back in my school days no one knew what it was. so i was getting told off constantly.

my younger brother (im the oldest) in school was exactly the same as me. in every way. has the same thing, only now days it can be found in some one. he has dyspraxia, aspergers and slight autism. so in a way i guess i do too.

explains why i never go out visiting pubs or going out "night clubbing", dont enjoy company of others my age much (unless they have the same interests as me), and dont have many friends (as to most i seem every boring as i dont like usual things some one my age would). look at me and my car.. or how i am with electronics.. or even the fact i am very into amateur radio or me being really into computers.

it's not something that bothers me. i just wish back when i was in school it was known better so i could of been helped with it, like how my brother has.

heh and if it wasnt for spell check you guys would be going crazy at me :p

its funny though, my sister (the youngest) shows no signs of anything. she is really doing well in school.

Dyspraxia is a common trait with those on the autistic spectrum. Nice one for having the balls to post Dragon Man.
A lot of people seem to be ashamed or frightened of Mental Health Issues, which is a shame as they are relatively easy to control these days. (Depending on Severity).
There was a program on C4 recently called "The Toughest Job Interview" and it featured 10 candidates for 5 jobs. Of the 10, 5 had or have had MenHealth issues. There were tasks which cause stress, prove logical thinking etc, and of the 10, 4 with MH issues got the job. It was a fascinating watch, albeit, slightly patronizing.
Ta

There's a lot of stigma attached to mental health, these days I dare say Albert Einstein would be diagnosed with all manner of 'illnesses', yet look at what he achieved. In fact I suspect there are a lot of inventors, physicists, or generally very smart people who would be diagnosed as having some kind of illness. Perhaps it's the rest of the world that has the illness as our brains haven't developed the way they were meant to and that's the way we were meant to think?
It just seems to me that our underlying trend seems to be to try and 'fix' things which don't fit with the majority, instead of moulding ourselves to take advantage of the gifts that differently abled people have. DM - your love of cars, electronics and amateur radio would get you an excellent job at the company I work for (Arqiva) as a field engineer, I really suggest you look into it (y)

in school i was regarded as "the naughty boy". i have a thing called dyspraxia.

back in my school days no one knew what it was. so i was getting told off constantly.

my younger brother (im the oldest) in school was exactly the same as me. in every way. has the same thing, only now days it can be found in some one. he has dyspraxia, aspergers and slight autism. so in a way i guess i do too.

explains why i never go out visiting pubs or going out "night clubbing", dont enjoy company of others my age much (unless they have the same interests as me), and dont have many friends (as to most i seem every boring as i dont like usual things some one my age would). look at me and my car.. or how i am with electronics.. or even the fact i am very into amateur radio or me being really into computers.

it's not something that bothers me. i just wish back when i was in school it was known better so i could of been helped with it, like how my brother has.

heh and if it wasnt for spell check you guys would be going crazy at me :p

its funny though, my sister (the youngest) shows no signs of anything. she is really doing well in school.

my cousin has it......... Lets put it like this he has just become a Doctor of marine biology ! (oh and he was always easy to beat at cricket) :devil:

Eklipze3k;3076318l said:
DM - your love of cars, electronics and amateur radio would get you an excellent job at the company I work for (Arqiva) as a field engineer, I really suggest you look into it (y)

:) (y)
Ta

It's a very rewarding field :) Up until recently I worked at a college for young adults with learning disabilities :) Very rewarding :)

Im currently in quite a severe Depression, i must have had the peak of a 4 month bout over the weekend. Ive managed to get past the stage where my brain is so fuzzed that its difficult to even see properly.
Im fairly sure there is more to it but there is no point in perusing it. Its not like Aspergers or anything is going to help me on my CV lol. I would like to be able to definitively say why I can have odd behaviour though. I find people can be very intolerant of odd people who dont have a label. It certainly doesnt help much when you do have anxiety and depression.

I dont envy anybody who has the balls to work in the field. It must be extremely difficult to be regularly helpless as you watch people completely destroy themselves due to red tape or just lack of understanding.

Its not like Aspergers or anything is going to help me on my CV lol. I would like to be able to definitively say why I can have odd behaviour though. I find people can be very intolerant of odd people who dont have a label.

Firstly, let me say what a brave thing I think it is for you to have written your post. (I hope this doesn't come across in any way patronizing, though.) I was genuinely moved by your words....

Secondly, I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, only a few years ago, in my mid-forties: and, in some ways, it was a relief to have a label, a diagnosis, an explanation, for why I am the way I am.... But, to be honest, it's not a "label" I flaunt (or even mention -- only my nearest and dearest know of the diagnosis...): because, after nearly fifty years, I had come to two main conclusions:

1. that I didn't actually mind being different from the herd; and that my eccentricities -- despite the overwhelming problems they initially caused me (and frequently still do...) -- make me who I am; and that I am proud of being me, an individual; and
  2. that those who are "intolerant of odd people" -- with or without "a label" -- aren't the sort of human beings I want around me, or to be with, anyway; and that I can well manage without them. It's their loss, in the end....
Finally, I thought this article, in today's Guardian, was well worth a read: about people's attitudes to those different to them (or, even, 'differently abled').

Just, as they say, my $0.02-worth....

volxstu Are you being treated for the depression? From experience, I would advise that you do it (if not already). The relief from getting the diagnosis and the treatment is overwhelming.
Its a long path to walk though. There are some serious ups and downs as the Seratonin balances out in your brain but when you come out the other side, WOW, what a change.

Unfortunately I think that the political correctness that set out to aide people has had the reverse effect. I think people are just as intolerant as they were 20, even 10 years ago.

There won't be any change in attitudes, that I can see at least, until people start to recognize that they, loved ones or friends actually suffer from MH Issues and that its not just those "weirdos".

I've done this job for quite some time now and I find it both challenging and rewarding. As far as im concerned, there's no such thing as a lost cause. Even the most severe levels of disability cases can lead happy, enjoyable lives.

I also doth my cap to those who have posted here as it takes alot of courage to make these things public.

Ta

I was at the Beacon some years ago. I hated every minute tbh. The CBT helped slightly but was really not geared to my issues. Councillors frustrate me. I'm a listener not talker. The Psyche was worse than useless. You get through the councilng and think your gonna get to speak to somebody who can help and then the psyche is like "Depression, take these" without even speaking to you lol. Obviously that was a simplified run down, but I deal with it in my own way now. It can be bloody scary at times. I think I'm through the worst now. Hopefully my body clock will sort itself out a bit lol.

Back