Technical Mass Airflow Sensor - Sourcing

Currently reading:
Technical Mass Airflow Sensor - Sourcing

Jimbo1

Hi Folks,

I need to replace the Mass Airflow Sensor in my 1998 Fiat Marea 125 HLX, 2.4 TD. My engine is the 5 Cylinder Model.

I have found an online supplier. However, the part ain't cheap. I was expecting a sensor, not an entire box. See the following:

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?ProductID=7591&VehicleID=40066

I have a few questions for those of you of a more mechanical disposition than me:

1. Is that really the correct part?
2. Do you have any suggestions where I could source one from an alternative supplier? I'm thinking of maybe going to BreakerYard.com, or checking out what I can find on Ebay. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. (y)

I'm just a little shocked at the moment. I was expecting to have to shell out no more than £100. Shelling out just over £400 is something I'd prefer to avoid, if possible. At the end of the day, I really like the car and want to keep it going. However, I'd still like to do this as cheaply as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

James

unfortunately its the older type VAF (volume air flow) sensor which is an all in one unit unlike the newer bosch type MAFs. which would be expensive. are you sure it needs replacing ?

jimbo1, as you've probably seen on another thread, I have the same problem.....and the same airflow sensor! I'm sceptical about it being the (sole) cause, as this issue seems to affect tds and jtds alike. It would be great if we could all combine resources to get the definitive answer to this problem 'coz the other day I had full power all the way way from tickover and remembered what a hoot this engine is when it's working properly!

Just a thought, would the ecu be able to 'relearn' if you fitted a later type maf sensor? I'm a bit basic on the engine side of things!

jimbo1, as you've probably seen on another thread, I have the same problem.....and the same airflow sensor! I'm sceptical about it being the (sole) cause, as this issue seems to affect tds and jtds alike. It would be great if we could all combine resources to get the definitive answer to this problem 'coz the other day I had full power all the way way from tickover and remembered what a hoot this engine is when it's working properly!

Just a thought, would the ecu be able to 'relearn' if you fitted a later type maf sensor? I'm a bit basic on the engine side of things!

Hi Mate,

I agree it would be good to combine resources. The only thing is, mine are fairly limited. My mechanical knowledge is very basic; most of the little I do know is from personal experience of relevant car problems, and talking to knowledgeable people to help fill in the blanks.

Am open to any suggestions though. I'm quite happy to throw some money at my car if necessary (and I can get results). Despite the age of the car, I really like it. ;)

Cheers.

James

not sure if these VAF type sensors have a potentiometer/inductive flap position sensor, but I would watch the signal output with a multimeter/scope whilst moving the flap very slowly by hand to see what the output is like. On older petrol engines that used these VAF's (mk2 golf GTI, 205 GTI etc.) the sensor would wear out at the idle position and cause rough running/stalling etc.

does anyone know how to check sensor values by multimeter ?
which wire is what ?

I have the aloy box sensor with the round connector

Back