Technical Marea Weekend 20V

Currently reading:
Technical Marea Weekend 20V

First the car: 10 years old, 100k+ on the clock, never ever failed to start first time (some would say could not possibly be a Fiat!), bought it 10 months old from auction for a fraction of its new price, rejected by leasing company due to sunroof leak (the drainage holes needed to be unblocked), done all the servicing myself, only goes to garage for MOT tests.

Now the problem: replaced the fuel pump 2 years ago with a s/h one from a Tipo DGT. Recently that started missbehaving when hot, seems that after 20 mins or so of runing it starts to vapourise the fuel causing the fuel pressure light to come ON and engine loosing torque, stalling during idling.

Purchased a "compatible" replacement, FSE/Sytec which turned out to be useless. It starts but the engine runs erratically and there is NO fuel flow in the return pipe from the regulator meaning this pump does not reach the regulator's opening pressure of 3 bars. The supplier does not believe me. They tested it and said it was OK but later sent a second tested replacement. Same story. I try the original Bosch pump and there's a healthy fuel flow from the return pipe even with this old chap however, it only lasts 10 mins or so.

Anyone has experience of these compatible pumps? Do I really have to pay Bosch prices considering the car is unlikely to last more than another 2 years due to floor corrosion?

Recently that started missbehaving when hot, seems that after 20 mins or so of runing it starts to vapourise the fuel causing the fuel pressure light to come ON and engine loosing torque, stalling during idling.

Same story. I try the original Bosch pump and there's a healthy fuel flow from the return pipe even with this old chap however, it only lasts 10 mins or so.

?

Just a long shot, but I've just solved a similar problem with my 125TD (see recent thread) - have a look at the pickup in the tank unit. I found a piece of rag which was acting as a one-way valve on the strainer of the pick up & would only allow enough diesel through to run at 2000rpm, any more & it just died.
When you take out the tank unit, pull off the 10mm corrugated pipe from the 10mm pipe underneath the top of the unit. Then you can slide up the bottom part of the pickup & it'll come clear of the unit. (It can only go back in one way) then you can get a look at the strainer at the bottom of the pickup & also look if there's any muck in the sump of the tank unit. It'll only take 30 mins so it's bound to be worth a try?

I have 4 pumps, two Bosch and two Sytec. Both Bosch pumps easily exceed regulator's 3 bar limit and both Sytec fail to reach it. I've had the whole in-tank fuel assembly apart at least 5 times and also tested all pipes, non-return valves and the fuel manifol with compressed air (6 - 8 bars). Some 4 weeks ago I used a petrol cleaning additive because I knew there was slimy residue on the bottom of the tank. The additive certainly cleaned that.

Back