Technical Marea, she no idle!

Currently reading:
Technical Marea, she no idle!

Update - Had the throttle body off and apart, cleaned up nicely in Carb cleaner, all put back and checked, no difference whatsoever..:mad:
BUT! I may be onto something, I started checking all the electrical connections, again, because it still sounds like an ignition issue to me, and I found a dodgy earth connection on the engine. Cleaned up, and it improved, a bit. Now, the battery is on the floor of the cabin behind the passenger seat, and is earthed to the body there. So the plan is to run a proper earth cable to the engine from the battery. Watch this space.:cool:

Wow! 143bhp? That's pretty good, I'd love to know the spec. All I've done to mine is had the cams reground to a fast road spec, and I put on a home made header and exhaust system. Oh, and junked the standard induction. I had mine up to 111bhp on one run, starting from 90bhp, however we backed it down to 109bhp as the power curve was so smooth, and the torque curve was pretty flat.

The engine spec was as follows:
1.6 16v engine
20v Marea injectors
Open induction
Marea inlet(gas flowed)
Exhaust mani from the older cars (cat underneath car not on down pipe
Decat
3inch S/steel exhaust
Fuel pressure regulator removed from tank back in engine bay
Bosch super 4 plugs
And magnecor 8mm leads

Love my little bravo would set of better than my 20v Marea Weekend

Hi, thats not too much work, I'm there with the exhaust, good induction and the decat. I'm going to be looking at the fuel regulator anyway as the thing still doesnt run.

Thanks fror that, I now have a new ECU on the car, no difference, so I am pretty sure it's not electrical. I'll check the injectors in the next day or so.

Went to check the injectors...
Pic here
MAY have found the problem...
:confused:

What did you do about the fuel regulator in the tank? I have an aftermarket regulater I can use, can I just bypass the original?

Aaargh! No change! everything fitted fine, not the main problem! However, I touched a main connector block and the engine stopped dead. May be onto something. You can see the injectors fitted to the manifold here.

Righto, I started checking everything with the old multimeter, again! Found that the throttle position sensor doesn't vary as you operate the throttle.Hmmm. Got one on order, watch this space.

Pretty fed up now.
Parts I've replaced -
MAP sensor
Lambda Sensor
Crank sensor
Plugs
Leads
Coils sets
ECU
Throttle position sensor
Idle control valve
Injectors
Throttle body
I've double checked the cam timing
Fuel pressure, though I'm not totally sure about the gauge I used
Compression
All fuses
All electrical connectors
Nothing has changed the symptoms at all, which are -
Engine starts, but will not idle. At all.
Put revs on and it runs above 2000rpm, but very rough.
go above 4000 and it comes on song.
Try to drive the car and it judders and jerks on a trailing throttle, really bad.
Any ideas? Anyone?

my very accurate gauge for the fuel pressure was, take pipe from fuel tank off and ask "does it spray fuel further that i can pee?" :p
when my petrol pump was on it's way out, i had vaguely similar symptoms, when feathering the throttle, she juddered, but wide open, not too bad. seems like you have checked all the obvious options (and then some) and the fuel pressure is the only with some doubt in your post.
just a thought.

Yeah, frustrating! I even have a knock sensor on the way. I just going to have to do a complete wiring check.

I actually have tried adjusting the cam timing, makes a diference to the running, but the problem is still there.

UPDATE!
I have changed the knock sensor, as suspected no difference. It has been suggested by a motor engineer I bumped into that I pressure test the cylinders, as compression testing may mask the problem. could well be the head still.
HoHum.

Back