marea overheated

Currently reading:
marea overheated

D

Dark Lurker

Hi there guys my marea 2.4jtd overheated the other day temperature gauge went up to hot.i got it to my local garage lifted the bonet and steam came out iam thinking the head gasket has gone.I phoned my garage and they are testing.Is it worth repairing i love the car.

The thing ive never had a issue i had done a run to north wales from reading last weekend no probs

I always say "better the devil you know", you could buy another car and something packs up, then what.
I would be surprised if h/gasket had gone, our 2.4jtd was running very hot when stood, just flushed the system and jet washed the radiator carefully, all fine now.
However the fans are still not working, will sort soon.

could just be the thermo.see what garage says,but dont always take their word for it test it yourself too ;)

cheers guys iam hoping its not terminal.the garage said it didnt look good but fingers crossed.119000 on the clock and it goes like a flyer i think my radiator fan hasent worked for a while either the only good thing the engine seemed to be running ok when i got to the garage

ahh thats not good having a fan that doesnt work :s
unplug your fan and put a piece of wire in it to test if itll work (bridging it).Also take your thermo out and test it in a boiling hot pan of water on the cooker/stove.Start with the basics first.

good news guys ive got my marea back it was a split hose not head gasket .the thermostat and fan were working when tested the garage only concern was the engine if any damage i took the car for a 150 mile run yesterday and she ran well :)

cheers

mick