Technical Marea ABS problem

Currently reading:
Technical Marea ABS problem

EHBK

Hi all, have read some threads on the topic but none that could help me, so I post here in hope that someone might have a clue :)

I have a Fiat Marea Weekend 1.8 ELX, 1998 model - and the ABS light is constantly on, and nor does the ABS system function. The light is on from the very moment I turn the key and never goes off.

It first started after having changed both front brake pads and the left front wheel bearing at a local garage last summer. As the brakes still functioned perfectly albeit without ABS I left it as it was for a while. During a visit to a FIAT garage last autumn on another matter, I had them do a diagnostic. They told me that the diagnostic reported an error in the ABS system, but they couldn't pinpoint the fault so I dropped it for the time being.

Now however, I had to fix it due to the biannual control. Took it to a FIAT garage, and their diagnostic indicated the front left ABS sensor. The sensor was exchanged, but the light is still on. Took a new diagnostic, and now it indicated an error on the ABS sender in the front left wheel bearing. Had the wheel bearing exchanged (again - it was after all new this summer :bang: ) - but guess what? The light is still on and the ABS system still doesn't function.

I could of course go back and do another diagnostic but as I guess it will indicate a different error now I simply can't continue in this fashion as it will cost a fortune before every single part of the system has been exchanged. It is evident that the diagnostic is not indicating the right error anyhow. The brakes on the back wheels where also overhauled at the same time so there shouldn't be any problems there either.

So I wondered if anyone would have an idea as to what the source of the problem could be? The diagnostics part puzzles me - could there be an electrical fault somewhere, or a broken cable? Or could the array of different errors be caused by a fault in the central ABS unit?

Would really appreciate any input, I really like my Fiat so hope I'll be able to finally sort things out so that I can use it for a couple more years :)

Thanks!

Does the AA or RAC not do such readouts? I had my Marea's fault memory read out by the ÖAMTC and after changing the right rear ABS sensor (€47) I went there again to have them reset the fault memory. The yellow ABS warning went out - no problem.

Does the AA or RAC not do such readouts? I had my Marea's fault memory read out by the ÖAMTC and after changing the right rear ABS sensor (€47) I went there again to have them reset the fault memory. The yellow ABS warning went out - no problem.

a 1998 car may not have CODE info to read..!, ;)

also a 2 year old thread..!!,:D

Charlie

Mine is a Fiat Marea Holiday 185 BXE, 1900cc, 75kW (100HP) TD engine. ID-number: ZFA185000*00289901. First registered: 22.12.1998. The connector to take the ABS readout from is the 3-pin one on the right, facing the bonnet.
Nick

Back