Technical Manual boot release (Croma)

Currently reading:
Technical Manual boot release (Croma)

langtounlad

I had a flat battery due to alternator failure. Partially charging the battery got me to a local (non Fiat) garage. At this stage the boot would not open with remote or manually. Alternator was changed and I was advised extra time was added to reprogram various functions. Electric windows was one of the things mentioned.
The boot now only opens with the remote. The garage has offered to have look at this but being non Fiat I am worried that they may not have access to systems to fix this.
I have taken the switch out and there are 2 wires. The micro switch operates and I get a short using a meter. I also put a short back on the perm wiring and nothing happens.
I went to a small independant Fiat dealer, unfortunately the service manager was out, told them the above, but they think its the switch.
Previous post have people getting charged for a switch and a software
update which make me think that fitting a switch is the first and easy option then when that doesnt work its fixed by software.
Is this a software problem due to my electric going down?

It's hard to say what the problem is, but mine had a software update to sort out the boot opening. It was done at the Fiat dealer while still in warranty, so no charge.

However, you can judge the honesty of your garage by their charging for "reprogramming the electric windows". This is bull**** of the highest order. After disconnecting the battery you just have to wind all four windows fully down, then back up. That's it - "reprogramming" completed. This is explained in your user's manual.

So how much did they charge for opening and closing the windows?

Every time I disconnect the battery on my car the boot release doesn't work until I have locked the car using the remote then unlocking it again. This is info only as I'm sure you've already done this.

I should add that when I had problems with mine (cured by the software update), you couldn't get in the boot using the handle when it was first unlocked. If I then locked and unlocked it then it would work. If yours is the same then the software update is what's needed.

I can't think why disconnecting the battery would have caused it though - perhaps the software goes back to some different mode for a while after.

Hope you're not suggesting that the electrical system has moods and is controlled by a RUFG (Random Unrepeatable Fault Generator)?

:D

Resolution: The boot can only be opened using the electric opening handle once it has been unlocked. There are 3 options in the Multi Function Display for Selecting door unlocking. From new the option is set to unlock all. The other 2 options are: open drivers door only and open all doors but exclude the tailgate. For what ever reason this latter option was current after my alternator/power issues. (page 25 in my manaual)

My thanks to those who replied.

Ah yes, that one.

I changed mine to "open everything" mode when I bought it. This setting has persisted ever since, despite the battery being disconnected a few times.

My experience. I had my battery disconnected (and later reconnected), after that my boot would not open.
Solution was to lock the car (normally, with remote) and unlock it (normally, with remote) and boot was behaving well as usual again :)

From memory, they (Fiat/Lancia/Alfa/Saab) had a red cord on o/s/r boot carpet for manually opening from inside…it was a bugger to get to on Alfa through the arm rest…not sure if it was just early versions
And yes, in manual it shows you how to set manual/remote opening by a combination of key and remote…there’s a ‘carryover’ similar option on Jeep since Fiat got there hands on them…and the factory fit alarms on 80’s period Fiat/Alfa we’re a pain as some of them came with the German programmed units-less decibels and shorter alarm periods, but, if they went wrong, we couldn’t reset them, which meant, if your windows were down/car unlocked/boot override, they stayed down/unlocked/**** tight

From memory, they (Fiat/Lancia/Alfa/Saab) had a red cord on o/s/r boot carpet for manually opening from inside…it was a bugger to get to on Alfa through the arm rest…not sure if it was just early versions
I seem to recall when I had my Croma that little red cord was for releasing the petrol filler flap and not the main boot/trunk mechanism.

I seem to recall when I had my Croma that little red cord was for releasing the petrol filler flap and not the main boot/trunk mechanism.
Must be my age! I was sure I remembered struggling to get the boot of a 164 to open and having an easier time on my uncles SAAB 9000

Back