Technical MAF Sensor

Currently reading:
Technical MAF Sensor

martbass

How can you tell/what symtoms if MAF sensor is not working?
Only ask as my multi jtd seems a little sluggish compared to when I first had it.

What effect would it have it you were to disconnect it?

cheers all

You can disconnect the electrical plug and see if that makes a difference. If no difference I suggest it's the EGR valve. To check - warm engine to operating temperature and while stationary rev the engine to max revs for 5 to 10 seconds whilst checking the exhaust emmision which should be black. if the car now runs better you need to get the EGR valve cleaned.

Re: MAF Sensor Troubles

Thanks.
I have already recently removed and cleaned out the EGR valve with some improvement.
Assuming I have done it right, I unplugged the MAF connector ( Is it the plug on the downpipe that comes right off the top of the Air filter housing?)
Dont know if I'm imagining it but it seems to be much more responsive now with no lag. If someone tells me I,ve inplugged the wrong lead then its a massive placebo!!
HOWEVER...............................after a couple of miles, I now have the engine control system faulty......go to garage warning showing up (with the yellow symbol)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought you could drive without the maf sensor.
Should I just plug it in again and think about buying a new sensor?

thanks

martin

Hi
I have just replaced the MAF sensor today, you are correct in the location, and the symptoms (poor performance) the wife’s was disconnected when we bought it, and it was running ok, when I plugged it in it struggled to accelerate, anyway we bought a replacement from ebay for approx £40 and I showed the wife how to change it, which she did no problem, now runs fine, I would imagine if you left it disconnected it would alter your emissions and fuel consumption.

I would imagine if you left it disconnected it would alter your emissions and fuel consumption.

correct, the EGR & AFM work from each another so expect plumes of smoke under acceleration & poor fuel consumption if left disconnected.

p.s. be careful of soe of those ebay AFM's as alfa owners were getting ripped off by them.

The fuel consumption on my wifes Multipla actually improved significantly when I disconnected her faulty one. However that is beside the point. If you need one do NOT buy one of the cheapo's on eBay. I made this mistake and might as well have just rolled my £36 up and smoked it. It worked for just over a month and conked out. What's more the seller was less than interested in engaging despite warranty claims on the add. A kind individual on this forum pointed me to this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120291588922

Item arrived from Italy in 3 days, was genuine Bosch and the car now runs great.

Rather spend the extra pounds and get the right article. When you compare the Bosch with the cheap Chinese copy you can straight away tell the difference.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks glowplug,

I've had another go.......Actually didn't seem to be any difference with the maf connected then disconnected.

Advice by my mechanic friend......replaced the fuel filter, which was filled with (forget the name) diesel/jet treatment neat and took it for a run.
Seems to have blown out any crud etc and now she runs sweet as a nut!

Back