Styling Lowering Springs

Currently reading:
Styling Lowering Springs

softwarez

Established member
I have a Punto 55 SX, if iw ant to lwoer it 40mm, can i just buy the lowering springs? and get them fitted? if that ok? or do i need anything else thats costy? ;0(!

If i just get springs.. will the ride be just like it is now? or worse? or..?

You will need shortened shocks as fitting 40mm lowering springs with your standard shocks will mean that theres virtually no damping available.

If you think that going over a bump in the road the shock will compress 40mm, but using standard shocks with 40mm lowering springs going over the same bump would mean that the shock would have to compress 80mm and this isnt feasible.

A somewhat strange analogy, but you should be able to get my drift...

A set of shortened shocks would be £100ish.

You could always fit your new springs with the standard shocks, and if the ride and damping is a bit harsh then get some new uns.

Last edited:
Any shop/garage I've spoken to have said that a 40mm drop on standard shocks is fine, but any more and you'll need shortened shocks. I think this is more for the shocks breaking than comfort, but any car I've been in that is lowered 40 on standard shocks seemed an ok ride. But as said above, you can always fit new shocks if the ride is too harsh with the standard ones :)

Punto_Steve said:
Any shop/garage I've spoken to have said that a 40mm drop on standard shocks is fine, but any more and you'll need shortened shocks. I think this is more for the shocks breaking than comfort, but any car I've been in that is lowered 40 on standard shocks seemed an ok ride. But as said above, you can always fit new shocks if the ride is too harsh with the standard ones :)

Cheers mate.

Back