General Low MPG Fiat Punto Grande 2006 1.2 Active

Currently reading:
General Low MPG Fiat Punto Grande 2006 1.2 Active

That kind of consumption is a dream to me right now:rolleyes:. Was last serviced in July and the hoses are in a condition as decent as can be for a car of its age.

I struggle to get under 45 mpg unless I really hang onto gears as I accelerate. A few more thoughts:
1. The hoses I mention are the ones under the airbox. Mine had suffered from the usual wear/rotting that happens on GPs and it didn't run too well like that
2. Is the car getting up to full temperature?
3. Are the tyres inflated up to proper pressure as per the handbook (and which tyres did you fit - I have Dunlops on standard steel wheels on mine

His bmw is a petrol and definitely gets around 35 mpg on city roads, I've been in his car extensively and have been on trips around the UK to know how much petrol he puts in for however many miles we do. Id like to think I'm an economical driver so I'm a bit apprehensive about whether its my driving which is the problem or something in the car itself:D . especially since the service was done fairly recently and the mpg didn't change much as a result.

That sounds unbelieveably good for the Beamer, I have to say. Yes, I think yours could be doing a bit better than it is, and yes, it's true (up to a point) that a big engine not working very hard, can be more efficient than a small engine having to work much harder to maintain the same speeds. But even so, I'm surprised that the beamer can do so well. I have a 2 litre DIESEL and round town, I'd struggle to get 35 to the gallon out of it. Does your car roll freely when pushed, or do you have a brake binding?

That sounds unbelieveably good for the Beamer, I have to say. Yes, I think yours could be doing a bit better than it is, and yes, it's true (up to a point) that a big engine not working very hard, can be more efficient than a small engine having to work much harder to maintain the same speeds. But even so, I'm surprised that the beamer can do so well. I have a 2 litre DIESEL and round town, I'd struggle to get 35 to the gallon out of it. Does your car roll freely when pushed, or do you have a brake binding?

Up to a point!!! Yes I know its not true all the time, but back in the 70's I bought a 1.3 Cortina Mk III, not very long after I replaced it with a 1.6 which, even though by modern standards was thirsty, put the 1.3 to shame!

Back