Technical Location of the diesel fuel filter

Currently reading:
Technical Location of the diesel fuel filter

BrianMcL

Hi Everyone,
Haven't been on here for a while as my Croma's continuing to behave herself.

I'm going to be doing a bit of servicing at the weekend and I cant remember when the fuel filter was last drained, never mind changed.

I've tried to find its location in eper but failed.

Can anyone let me know where it is please?

Yes big black canister on the firewall or bulkhead as you British would say. Special tool to unscrew is dealer only plastic and needed in the sense that tightening or squeezing too much can crack the housing.

Thanks both.

Found it - am I correct in thinking the ring (it's got 32nm printed on it) holds it in place and to get the filter out I would need to unscrew the ring?

It does look a bit fragile but could it be removed by hand?

The whole filter assembly will lift out up wards. You can unclip the fuel lines from the bulkhead clips to give plenty of vertical movement.

Once lifted you can then attach a hose/jar unter the filter an open the drain hole at the bottom the drain the filter assembly down.

Once this is done you can now disconnect the quick connect fuel lines to the filter and remove filter to bench/workmate for opening. (place towel under filter before disconnecting the fuel lines to catch excess fuel. also keep ends/ 'o' rings dirt free).

If you don't have the tool to open/unscrew the top retaining ring then I hove found that a simple chain/belt oil filter removal wrench is ideal and safe if used carefully.

Now you can extract the inner filter element and replace with new one.

When putting back ONLY!!!!! tighten the filter top rataining wring by HAND!

Thanks again s130. I disconnected the cable from the top of the fuel filter and then eased it out.

I unscrewed the drain plug from the bottom and got about 300ml of water from it.

FiatECUScan has an actuator for excess water but when I activated it nothing was displayed on the dashboard but that should at least take care of the water for a while.

I had wondered about the filter insert that I'd seen advertised on eurocarparts as I hadn't thought it would be possible to dismantle the filter.

I guess it's probably because my first diesel car, a Citroen AX 1.4D, needed it changed every 6000 miles (and drained every 3000) so I've always just thought of them as disposable.

On the Croma 1.9 mj the filter element is of the replaceable type. They are easily available from Fiat or your local motor factors.

I use a Mahle KX208D Diesel Fuel Filter (cartridge & seal). Other makes supply filter and new seal as well.

Thanks for the reminder about the bottom connector which I totally forgot about. Thankfully you spotted it!

For my 1.9D 16v (150bhp) I got a Vauxhall equivalent from ebay by searching for "fuel filter Z19DTH" (the Vauxhall code for this engine), click the "Include Description" box.

Back