Styling Linea Front Grille

Currently reading:
Styling Linea Front Grille

Cheers. So the actually parts you would recieve if you bought them would be everything thats anthracite? Or would you get the side skirts (orange in the pic). And anything else?

Cheers mate.

Basically you remove your number plate (can't remember if they come stuck on or screwed on because i put my personal reg on and screwed it) followed by the top and bottom grilles which just pull out. The bottom one was a nightmare it was so tight its unbelievable.

Once you have done that you remove your Fiat badge from the old grille and attach it to the new one with a piece of plastic the fits in the back of the grille (mine needed filing because there wasnt enough room to put the bolt on, very poorly designed).

Once thats done you put the two grilles in the spaces. Then the pins were cut off the back of the new grille because i didnt want to drill through my bumper at the edges where it would be visible if i removed it. After that the grille was offered up but the number plate screws were put back in to the holes slightly with some tipex on the end so that when the grille touched them it would mark where i needed to drill. After that i drilled the holes and fixed the grille into place (it just clips in where the old ones did).

Finally i just reattached my plates through the holes which went all the way through to their original holes so they act as an extra fixing.

Simple, lol.

Thanks for the mini-guide Rich!

I've placed my order with Chris at Souls today for the Grille and a couple of other bits so will see how I get on with fitting it too! Should arrive by Friday.

If anyone else is thinking of getting any parts, do get in touch with Chris as he is extremely helpful and does and excellent deal to boot! Thanks again Chris.

Tom

Thanks for the mini-guide Rich!

I've placed my order with Chris at Souls today for the Grille and a couple of other bits so will see how I get on with fitting it too! Should arrive by Friday.

If anyone else is thinking of getting any parts, do get in touch with Chris as he is extremely helpful and does and excellent deal to boot! Thanks again Chris.

Tom

No problem mate, hopefully it will help you a little bit, the instructions arent bad to be honest but at least you can see where i had some difficulties.

What else did you order? Any other Linea bits?

Agree with that Chris was really helpful and the discount made me like him even more, :D.

Rich

@Chris C.
Sorry to bang on about this mate. Still looking at doing it badgless. S'pose I'll suck up a bit first by saying it looks fantastic with the Black on the Red car, Reminds me a lot of an Audi.

Anyways, still looking at doing it badgeless. By your guide it sounds like the kit essentially comes in 3 bits, the centre bit, including extended surrounds to house the grills, and then (this is the bit I need clarity on) the upper an lower grills come seperate again.

So is there a possibility for mixing the grills supplied with a badgless one from another supplier. I know you can't answer 100% because you would need to have all the items present to check sizing etc, but in theory! is it possible?

No problem mate, hopefully it will help you a little bit, the instructions arent bad to be honest but at least you can see where i had some difficulties.

What else did you order? Any other Linea bits?

Agree with that Chris was really helpful and the discount made me like him even more,
biggrin.gif

Rich

I just ordered the grille, sill protectors and new style badges. Nice healthy discount on all three bits!

@Chris C.
Sorry to bang on about this mate. Still looking at doing it badgless. S'pose I'll suck up a bit first by saying it looks fantastic with the Black on the Red car, Reminds me a lot of an Audi.

Anyways, still looking at doing it badgeless. By your guide it sounds like the kit essentially comes in 3 bits, the centre bit, including extended surrounds to house the grills, and then (this is the bit I need clarity on) the upper an lower grills come seperate again.

So is there a possibility for mixing the grills supplied with a badgless one from another supplier. I know you can't answer 100% because you would need to have all the items present to check sizing etc, but in theory! is it possible?

Did you mean Chris or RichC, im guessing it was me so here goes.

Your right about the kit, it does essentially come in 3 pieces however the top and bottom grilles literally are just that, they do not have any surrounds whatsoever. When you look at other aftermarket grilles they have something around the edge so that they can clip in whereas these ones rely on the main piece to hold them in and because of this i dont think you will be getting any other grilles to fit. The only option may be to mesh it instead of using what comes with it.

First things first though, what colour car is it? You may have mentioned before but i cant remember.

I just ordered the grille, sill protectors and new style badges. Nice healthy discount on all three bits!

Nice, i have all of those on mine. Sill protectors are a complete rip off when you see how thin the metal is but they do look really good.

Rich

Sorry did mean RichC.
The more I thought about it I s'pose what you say makes sense about the surrounding area for the grilles etc. My car is Balero Red, which is kinda of a dark red come maroon, in case your not familiar with it?

The Grille has arrived! Rich, you were right about the sill protectors, very thin! Should look good on though.

Was hoping to get some advice about the Grille from you too. I've not fitted my own parts before (rookie!), and looking forward to having a crack at the Grille. I quite like the colour it arrived in, but it says it does need to be primed and sprayed in the instructions, and it will need to be black to match other parts like wing mirror stalks.

Was wondering what paint you used? Is it matte finish? Im off to Halfords tomorrow to get some and spray it up, so was wondering if you had any tips for that too. Did you spray every part (mesh etc) and do you do several coats?

Any other spraying tips also appreciated!!

Cheers,

Tom

Sorry did mean RichC.
The more I thought about it I s'pose what you say makes sense about the surrounding area for the grilles etc. My car is Balero Red, which is kinda of a dark red come maroon, in case your not familiar with it?

The reason i asked about the colour is that if you go for the badgeless look you will be able to see the bar that connects the top of the bumper to the bottom as ive mentioned previously. As standard it is covered by the badge but if you get rid you will notice it. Obviously it will be less noticeable on darker cars.

The Grille has arrived! Rich, you were right about the sill protectors, very thin! Should look good on though.

Was hoping to get some advice about the Grille from you too. I've not fitted my own parts before (rookie!), and looking forward to having a crack at the Grille. I quite like the colour it arrived in, but it says it does need to be primed and sprayed in the instructions, and it will need to be black to match other parts like wing mirror stalks.

Was wondering what paint you used? Is it matte finish? Im off to Halfords tomorrow to get some and spray it up, so was wondering if you had any tips for that too. Did you spray every part (mesh etc) and do you do several coats?

Any other spraying tips also appreciated!!

Cheers,

Tom

Its a nice easy one to start with as long as you have got the patience. I would suggest you remove the 2 locating pins on the back of the grille and sand them down a bit then drill straight through it into the bumper as number plate holes, much neater and leaves the option to remove it.

I personally think it would be fine as it is if its the same as mine was (cant see why it wouldnt be) but i wanted to paint mine. Got to admit though i didnt spray it myself, my mate has his own bodyshop so he did it for me to match my wheels so i cant give you any advice on that. I didnt have the grilles themselves sprayed though i can tell you that much.

Rich

Thanks for the reply Rich. Sorry to be a pain, but just wondered if it was gloss or matte paint used, looks gloss in the photos.

Does anyone know if I can just use boggo black gloss auto spray paint on plastic?? Showing my ignorance now! Didnt do the Grille this weekend, but hoping to get around to spraying it this week.

Thanks for the reply Rich. Sorry to be a pain, but just wondered if it was gloss or matte paint used, looks gloss in the photos.

Does anyone know if I can just use boggo black gloss auto spray paint on plastic?? Showing my ignorance now! Didnt do the Grille this weekend, but hoping to get around to spraying it this week.

It will need a few coats of plastic primer first. To get the gloss look and protection you will need to lacquer the paintwork after. Look up a few spraying guides an it will give you the best techniques. It very easy to mess up a spray job especially if you go in blind.

Thats ok mate, i wanted a slight matte look to match my wheels but its not easy to get that sort of finish on plastic so it is glossy.

It will need a few coats of plastic primer first. To get the gloss look and protection you will need to lacquer the paintwork after. Look up a few spraying guides an it will give you the best techniques. It very easy to mess up a spray job especially if you go in blind.

Very true, always make sure you prepare plastic properly because if you dont it will look sh*t and if you dont use the right paint it will more than likely crack when it flexes.

Rich

Thanks for the replies Puntokris and Rich, im actually thinking it might be best to have it sprayed up properly now! Theres a place near me that is quite reasonable I might try.

Id like to have a go myself but not sure it will be a great idea considering the cost of the part! May still keep it the colour it came in anyway, we'll see.

I'll post some pics when its done!

Thanks for the replies Puntokris and Rich, im actually thinking it might be best to have it sprayed up properly now! Theres a place near me that is quite reasonable I might try.

Id like to have a go myself but not sure it will be a great idea considering the cost of the part! May still keep it the colour it came in anyway, we'll see.

I'll post some pics when its done!

For the size of the grill, you may aswell go and get a pro job done. It will annoy you to the extreme if you get it wrong and have to sand it all down again. A job on your car is always worth doing properly (or getting somebody else to do it properly ;))

When you fitted the bottom grille, does it just rest on the metal lip just inside the bottom of the bumper, I have fitted the strip at the top of the bottom grille hole, but the honeycombe grille does not look very secure resting on the bottom lip,or does the outer Linea surround hold it firmly inplace, also does your bottom honeycombe grille slant forward at a angle from top to bottom, bottom facing in towards the car?

so it comes with the black honeycomb grills or do you have to use your own?
i did quickly skim through this topic but didn't see anything about the grill.

my mrs has the grande punto sport in yellow with a few opions and i would love to add this to hers as i think it would look loooooverly

Last edited:
so it comes with the black honeycomb grills or do you have to use your own?
i did quickly skim through this topic but didn't see anything about the grill.

my mrs has the grande punto sport in yellow with a few opions and i would love to add this to hers as i think it would look loooooverly
Yeah I'd like one but they're so damn expensive :(

Back