Technical Lightening the flywheel

Currently reading:
Technical Lightening the flywheel

maxi26

Hey guys,

Cheap question, anyone of you who have tried mounting aftermarket Lighted flywheels on you 1100 and 1400 and your experiences?

Shot!

Last edited:
I do not think it will help normal driving, good for track work, but there you want to be at max RPM all the time.

That is not the case on the road, you want a nice smooth engine.

A lighter flywheel helps with engine response and acceleration ultimately. At maximum RPM your flywheel is having little effect on your engine's performance.

Agree that, even for enthusiasts, it is not worth it on the road particularly with a low performance car like a standard Uno.

A lighter flywheel helps with engine response and acceleration ultimately. At maximum RPM your flywheel is having little effect on your engine's performance.

Agree that, even for enthusiasts, it is not worth it on the road particularly with a low performance car like a standard Uno.

Agreed, I did not qualify my comment to explain that on the track a lighter flywheel would help (theoretically) get to max rpm faster.

If you like to hoon the crap out of your car often, go for it. A replacement wheel from the scrapyard isn't that much if you don't like it. In fact I'd have the one from the scrappy cut and keep the other one so you have a pre-balanced wheel to go back to.

I used to have an old Corona with an 18R 2L engine (my 1st car), cut the flywheel and balanced the bottom end as well as a slight bore increase (piston rings died after 19 years so it had to be done).

I'm not lieing when I am saying that is the most fun you can have on 4 wheels. Thing used to be a slouch with lots of torque. But after the job i could rev it like a maniac to 4k, then pop off the clutch and it would screetch on 215 potenzia's all the way to 3rd gear (after it stops spinning in 1st). It turned a boring dissapointment of a car into something I regret selling every day of my life. I don't even drive fast anymore, other cars just don't feel as balanced, be it accelerating or stopping. Man, now I'm sad again. I miss my car. It absolutly begged me to rev it in each gear till it ran out of air (I was a kid didn't know about porting and cams and stuff).

Back