Technical Lane assist stopped working

Currently reading:
Technical Lane assist stopped working

Thanson87

I wondered whether anyone else has had this problem? My lane assist has stopped working, I've checked and the camera (behind the rear view mirror) isn't obscured, the glass seems clean, I've not replaced the windscreen glass, it just stopped one day last week. I've spoken to a guy from the dealership, but he mostly works on SEATS, he says they can be temperamental I ev don't work if it's too cold, but they are in the grill...could this still be the case with fiat? I don't really want to have to pay the dealership to repair it if it's something that is a quick fix. Any advice welcomed. I have a 500x firefly 1.0 turbo 2018

I can't help, I'm afraid... but as far as I know the bumper gubbins is the radar for brake assist and adaptive cruise control, which obviously only need to detect an object ahead, not read road signs or white lines... so I'd assume that the lane assist/road sign speed limit reader works via the camera.

I guess there must be a "diagnostic procedure" for this system, if anyone on here has access to it...?

Otherwise it might be worth trying to just reboot everything via the "disconnect the battery for an hour" approach. It might unblock whatever is making it stalled.

Ralf S.

Yes. Same vehicle spec, and I keep meaning to post on here about it!

Lane assist stopped working after about 18 months. It's frustrating, not that I do many motorway miles (especially over the past 18 months), but the assist plus cruise control made them much nicer.

I had previously installed a dash cam routed in the windscreen/roof liner and wondered if there was some interference going on from the power cable... But the sign recognition works fine, and I assume it uses the same camera module?

Does anyone know if an OBD reader would flag anything?

edit: I haven't tried disconnecting the battery as @Ralf S. suggests.

I took mine into the dealership yesterday. They said the camera is aligned and works correctly, but then I took it onto the road again and it stopped working, he says it's because I have a little chip on the windscreen, so I need to get that repaired and see if it makes a difference. He says if not then a full windscreen replacement is needed, however there is no point doing that as chips happen so easily that I'd just be throwing money away all the time!

The sign reader camera is at the bottom of the dashboard, the lane sensor is at the top behind the rear view mirror.

I'll let you know if the chip repair fixes it.

Hmmm... sounds like "let's try anything that might work..." level of diagnostics.. but then I dunno how bad the chip is or where it's located, so I may be too harsh. Hopefully the repair will give the camera back its 20:20..

Ralf S.
The chip is tiny, which makes it hard to believe! But I guess I've just got to trust what they tell me, but it definitely seems like a flaw in the technology if a small chip can effect it, chips in windscreens are so common - which is why I'll just repair the chip (£20) rather than the windscreen replacement (hundreds) as I could just be really unlucky and get another chip straight away!

Seems to be a few Jeep Renegade owners having a similar issue.
This one claims to have been fixed after the dealer replaced the steering wheel control/clock spring assembly.

I think the windscreen chip is a red herring as mine is in good condition.

Could be something to do with the haptic feedback system rather than the camera? Or the sensor which detects hands on wheel?

Back