Technical LADA 2101 tribute/conversion to FIAT 124

Currently reading:
Technical LADA 2101 tribute/conversion to FIAT 124

Kira Plastinina

Hello everyone,
I'm from Russia and I have converted my LADA 21013 into FIAT 124.
Visually it's FIAT 124 but it has Russian soul and FIAT 131 1.6 ohv engine under the bonnet.
Actually this engine is the reason I'm here. It was rebuilt 3 times during last 5 years and still works bad. The 1st rebuild was done by myself and I'm not an experienced mechanic but other 2 rebuilds did not last for long too.

The engine shakes a lot now although the sparks plugs and ingition leads are okay.
1. What's the correct order of cylinders for this engine? Is it done correct on the photo?
I've installed contactless ignition from LADA.

wYE1sFTo.png

2. What's should be the correct compression in each cylinder? Currently it's 10-10-9-9 kg/cm2
I guess it should be around 11 when the engine us new, right?

Hope someone here has a similar engine and can help me.
Thanks a lot!

Hi , I used to work for a Lada Dealership in the UK late 1970s.
Ideally I think your compression of 9 KG/cm2 = 128psi? A bit low. Should be around 160psi /180psi roughly, so a bit low, but not so low as to be the cause of your problem. Is psi less where you are due to low octane rating of petrol to prevent "pinking/knock"?
I think your Firing Order 1342 is correct , but easy to check take plugs out with engine on TDC/firing marks with rotor in distributor aligned with No. 1 lead in distributor car then manually turn engine slowly clockwise to the next cylinder coming up on compression. No.3 then 4 then 2.
Is there any "tracking" or electrical shorts in distributor cap?
If you have a multimeter can you check the HT leads using an Ohm reading for continuity, as the radio suppressed leads often fail, though may look good.
On the original twin choke Lada carburetors we used to have to clean lots of dirt and water from idling jets and the emulsion tubes underneath them.
Is the ignition timing correct roughly 8 degrees (8mm?) before TDC if fuel quality octane rating is low you may have to reduce that figure .
Can you take one HT lead off at a time to locate a missing cylinder. Careful of HT voltage;)

Last edited:
This takes me back to my 131 1600. Ran that from 27k to 111k miles (43k to 178k kilometres). Still running sweetly when rust got it. I still have the Haynes manual.
Cylinder number one is at the front, and the firing order is 1-3-4-2, so your pic looks ok. I think number 2 lead would be better going over the top of 3 & 4, so they don't rub.

Might sound basic, but when you put your foot on the accelerator fully are you getting fully open carbs.

you may need an assistant for this check

Tim
Tim has just reminded me, when servicing the Ladas they had a habit of accelerator not fully opening the throttle butterflies, so we would just reach in and bend the pedal to the right position as often they only got half throttle.
It was nice to hear customers say "the car goes really well since you serviced it" ;).
THe only thing to watch was they had a habit of breaking the plastic swivel joints.

Ciao a tutti,
Vengo dalla Russia e ho convertito la mia LADA 21013 in FIAT 124.
Visivamente è FIAT 124 ma ha anima russa e motore FIAT 131 1.6 ohv sotto il cofano.
In realtà questo motore è il motivo per cui sono qui. È stato ricostruito 3 volte negli ultimi 5 anni e funziona ancora male. La prima ricostruzione è stata fatta da me e non sono un meccanico esperto, ma anche altre 2 ricostruzioni non sono durate a lungo.

Il motore ora trema molto anche se le candele ei cavi di accensione sono a posto.
1. Qual è l'ordine corretto dei cilindri per questo motore? È fatto correttamente sulla foto?
Ho installato l'accensione senza contatto di LADA.

View attachment 413505
2. Quale dovrebbe essere la compressione corretta in ciascun cilindro? Attualmente è di 10-10-9-9 kg/cm2
Immagina che dovrebbe essere circa le 11 quando il motore è nuovo, giusto?

Spero che qualcuno qui abbia un motore simile e possa aiutarmi.
Molte grazie!
Ciao, forse il tuo problema è causato
Ciao a tutti,
Vengo dalla Russia e ho convertito la mia LADA 21013 in FIAT 124.
Visivamente è FIAT 124 ma ha anima russa e motore FIAT 131 1.6 ohv sotto il cofano.
In realtà questo motore è il motivo per cui sono qui. È stato ricostruito 3 volte negli ultimi 5 anni e funziona ancora male. La prima ricostruzione è stata fatta da me e non sono un meccanico esperto, ma anche altre 2 ricostruzioni non sono durate a lungo.

Il motore ora trema molto anche se le candele ei cavi di accensione sono a posto.
1. Qual è l'ordine corretto dei cilindri per questo motore? È fatto correttamente sulla foto?
Ho installato l'accensione senza contatto di LADA.

View attachment 413505
2. Quale dovrebbe essere la compressione corretta in ciascun cilindro? Attualmente è di 10-10-9-9 kg/cm2
Immagino che dovrebbero essere circa le 11 quando il motore è nuovo, giusto?

Spero che qualcuno qui abbia un motore simile e possa aiutarmi.
Molte grazie!
Ciao il problema alla tua auto forse potrebbe essere causato dallo spintarogeno elettronico Lada che in alcuni casi non è compatibile col motore Fiat che monti tu (è capitato a alcuni amici) È molto strano che sia stato ricostruito più volte perché di solito sono quasi indistruttibili.
Saluti
Gianni

Back