General Lack of Engines / Gearboxes for Sale

Currently reading:
General Lack of Engines / Gearboxes for Sale

I have the original engine / gearbox in 1970 L. Both are dripping the odd bit of oil so am thinking both would appreciate a bit of TLC.
This got me thinking that if both have to come out why not replace with bigger, newer and ? better.

Here lies the problem as the title says.
Am probably looking for a 650 and box but advice on any engine and why would be much appreciated. ?

I don't think it is due to Covid,Brexit,lack of lorry drivers or the boat that got stuck but you never know!

David

There are various ways that you could approach your problem. (1) do a strip-down overhaul of the engine renewing all bearings, seals and gaskets and fit the 570cc barrels and pistons that don't require any machining of the crankcase. They are just an "out with old, in with the new" job. This will give you an oil-tight engine with a bit more grunt. (2) acquire either a 595 or 652 '126 engine. Even fitted in standard tune you will get more performance from either engine. However, as with all 2nd hand engines (unless you wish to spend the money on a brand new engine), your 'new' engine will require a strip-down and inspection, and therefore the replacement of all seals and gaskets. With regard to the gearbox, if you go the '570cc' route all you will have to do is replace seals and the odd gasket on the gearbox. If you go the 595/652cc route, you will either have to fit a '126' bellhousing to the gearbox as well as the starter and starter shield, brace and specific '3rd bolt' or, if you decide to fit a 126 gearbox, you will have to fit 500 driveshafts (do NOT buy the cheap variety) and sliding couplings as well as the starter and is specific parts.
As a 3rd alternative, you could bore the crankcase out on your 500 engine to take the bigger 595/652cc barrels and pistons---but no more than the 652cc option.

I think it is a simple case of supply and demand along with some events over the years that have affected the market. The days of buying a 126 just for the engine and gearbox are long gone as the value of a decent 126 has shot up and of course as time goes by there are less cars around to act as doner. Time was you could get a complete car for £50. The 126 seems to have a particular attraction for the “younger than me” generation so prices steadily rose with cars getting harder to get. Of course that applied to parts as well then Poland joined the EU and the situation rapidly changed. About one million 126s were made in Italy but about two and a half million in Poland. The Polish guys coming to the UK realised there was money to be made by importing LHD 126 cars and parts. There was a bit of a sweet spot when cars and parts were being sold here at very good prices then prices started to rise again as the guys realised they could make much more money. Sometimes vans were loaded with engines and gearboxes to sell in the UK. This started to taper off in recent years as the parts and cars got scarce. Then of course along came brexit and all that entailed.
There seems to have been a big increase in prices this year for available new and used parts. Some people now asking £200 for a bare used 650 crankcase for those wishing to build up their own engines. I did infact build a complete running 650 engine just by using the parts I had hanging around in my garage and have just started another one as I enjoy doing it.
As Tom has pointed out there are a number of ways to go, I think he means 540cc not 570cc by the way. The conversion is expensive but will give more power partly due to modest increase in capacity but it also uses higher compression pistons.
One of the good things about these engines is the interchangeability of parts across the range, crankshafts, camshaft etc.
There will still be bargains out there but you might need to search and keep your ear to the ground.

Sorry for the late response have been double busy with work and life !

Thank you both for the in depth explanations. Both replies seem to compliment each other. One dealing with the engine options etc and the other an economic / historical explanation.???

Toshi please forgive me for asking but would you be willing to let a 650 engine go ' if the price is right '?

Much appreciated gents.

David

You're absolutely correct David---I did mean 540cc, not 570cc. I must have a stern word with my typing digit, as well as reading what I print more carefully before I submit it!

Sorry for the late response have been double busy with work and life !

Thank you both for the in depth explanations. Both replies seem to compliment each other. One dealing with the engine options etc and the other an economic / historical explanation.???

Toshi please forgive me for asking but would you be willing to let a 650 engine go ' if the price is right '?

Much appreciated gents.

David

I only have one high spec tuned engine which is spoken for at the moment although it is still awaiting collection. I have just started another crankcase up build which may well also be spoken for. I do have a spare 499cc engine and gearbox, a couple more 650 crankcases, reground crankshaft & bearing sets and I have a couple of 650 gearbox bellhousings which can be used to fit an early gearbox to a 650 engine.
Where are you located in case I hear of anything?

Hi David, I have an engine and gearbox from a 126 which I’m selling. If you’re interested, or would like to know any details, feel free to send me a DM

Back