General Just got myself a Uno :)

Currently reading:
General Just got myself a Uno :)

Just a quick update. Gearbox is out and thanks everybody for the tips, wouldn't have made it without them :). Indeed it is key one lowers a bit the engine so the gearbox can also be further lowered otherwise the rear mounting has no clearance to leave the place. I've worked 3 hours in the car yesterday at night and I am sore today :).
Now let's just hope that putting the gearbox in is easier (I doubt it lol)

Here it is the offending part:

I'm also changing the thermostat as the old one was doing nothing there. The new one is already fitted and the core-plug was successfully removed. But I need to get the flywheel out so I can fit the new one properly.

Just a quick update, after a long and hard weekend working on the Uno :).

Right then, core-plug successfully replaced, so as the thermostat. Myabe it was due to my inexperience but the gearbox was very difficult to put back and I ended up having to remove the front bumper so I had enough room / clearance to make it pass underneath the car.

I've also changed the coolant, engine oil and gearbox oil. The car feels effectively different, so smooth and the gear change very disciplined.

Forgot to tell, the clutch is effectively new. I just wonder why didn't the previous mechanic replace the core-plug when he had a look at the clutch. A £5 part and virtually 10 mins job.

Truly happy days :).

Thanks again for all the support.

I'll keep you posted on any future work. Well, there's still some to be done and I've got a plan already so watch this space.

Bye for now

Last edited:
I have a 999 Fire Mk.2 Uno 3 door bought in 2008. I find it a great car to drive, but there have been a few reliability issues. Head gasket went on a French holiday and it cost me over a grand to have fixed. Had to fly back to collect it and cycle 50 miles in searing heat with every damn shop in France closed so I could not get any food or water. Arrived at garage on a Sunday night at 11pm prepared to sleep on the street as no hotels open. Fortunately garage proprietor was just returning from a night out & I got him to open garage and return my Uno. Drove back right across France to Eurostar and home. Current problem with my car is the engine cutting out for no apparent reason. I also need a new steering column shroud after some low-life broke in and tried to hot-wire it. Damaged the drivers door also so I will probably have to re-skin it or find a door on a breakers. Uno is getting such a rare car that spare parts are a problem.

Terrible story for the Uno!! Think Jai always goes for extra breakdown cover to ensure his Uno will not be written off if it needs towing home from Europe when on his travels.

One or two things spring to mind for the 999cc engine – Carb icing (if it’s not a single point injection model), or the finned amp on the distributor can just cut the engine when playing up (overheating) think thers plenty of threads on ther amp…

You can pretty much forget about finding another door, 3 door doors are now like gold dust, your gonna have to repair it (might be an idea to reinforce the uprights to make it harder to get into)..

The cutting out thing could be a number of things, is it an i.e. (J reg onwards) or a carbed one?

Might be worth checking the vacuum advance (a number of posts in the Uno section about it), another issue can be the ignition module (mounted on the back of the distributor with a finned heatsink on it), but it could be something s simple as a dizzy cap, rotor, an earth etc.

Back