General just a small question

Currently reading:
General just a small question

puntomadboy

Banned
hi guys i just have a small question witch needs answering...(y)

i have recently noticed that the engine coolent light starts to light up slowly after driving while... i have full engine coolent and i have no leaks because i have checked all pipes...

it only lights up after stopping and starting a few times....could anyone shed some light.... :worship:

nope.. checked....

the engine does seem to get a bit hot, but not that much, no more then a normal car... The light seems to be a dim red at first (can hardly see it, then it will get brighter) :confused:

Last edited:
nope.. checked....

the engine does seem to get a bit hot, but not that much, no more then a normal car... The light seems to be a dim red at first (can hardly see it, then it will get brighter) :confused:

i would replace the coolant temperature switch and see if it solves the problem

if it still light up then you are indeed overheating

i would replace the coolant temperature switch and see if it solves the problem

if it still light up then you are indeed overheating

will do.... (y)

update: today i was driving along, and everything was going fine stopped at some really long lights so the car was stationary for a long time.. i noticed that the light was starting to get brighter then when i started to go again about five mins of clear driving it went down again....:confused:

that could suggest your thermostat is stuck closed then? as when your moving it is usually sufficient to cool the engine down. Does your fan kick in?

yes good advise buta little too quick

as the light is coming on slowly and dimly not straight on or off it suggests as the car nears full temp it is triggering for some reason this is why i say replace the switch at the back of the head in fact it almost sounds like it's like someone has replaced it already with a thermistor from an sx with temp gauge instead of light

but I don't see any point in changing coolant items like thermostat until this unusually acting light is sorted

when the switch is replaced if the light still comes on the car is overheating

and you then get a new thermostat first off as I would

my point is the light should come on straight away not slowly and dimly

if the car is overheating after you change the switch you will see this

as the light is coming on slowly and dimly not straight on or off it suggests as the car nears full temp it is triggering for some reason this is why i say replace the switch at the back of the head in fact it almost sounds like it's like someone has replaced it already with a thermistor from an sx with temp gauge instead of light

Yeah that would make sense actually so it thinks its working as a temp guage rather than a overheating warning light (y)

thanks for the reply guys...(y)

so how would i be able to replace the switch....

i have got in contact with the garage i got the car from and they said they have not changed the overheating switch has not been changed since he had the car.....but as you said it does sound like it is acting like a temp gauge rather then a overheat switch.....:cry:

i thinks the problem is getting more serious now....:(

today i filled up the coolent bottle to the max, then went for a drive. it was ok at first, but after about 20mins the light started to light up slowly and about after 10 mins it was full bright red (with a beeping noise i think)...:confused:

so i got home and checked the engine, the coolent was still full there were no leaks but the engine did seem a bit hot, to hot for the drive i did.... i read on the forums this could be the thermostat closed that is why my coolent is hardly going down...

anyone know how to change a thermostat pls...(n)

well it's beginning to sound like you re over heating

the switch on the head is a bit dodgy to come on straight away but this is probs just due to its age it's probably coming on at the right temp still

under the 2 coils were the spark plug leads go there is the top radiator hose attached to an alloy casting bolted to the side of the head with 2 10mm bolts

this is the thermostat

you need the hole thing there about 9 quid they come with a new gasket and you will probably need to cut off the old pipe clamp as there once use only and buy a jubilee clip also to reattach to the new one

http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/index.cfm?action=catalogue.list
you want the top one

and i didnt mean change the dash for one with a gauge your car should not have one of these

i meant change the swich in the back left hand side of the head for a more reliable new one

it's just below the filer cap and a both number one spark plug

Last edited:
well took it to the garage today, and they said it cold be three problems..

1)the water pump
2)radiator blockage
3)thermostat

i dont think it is the water pump as this was changed last MOT....so it could be either a radiator blockage or the thermostat... anyway they are going to do some test on Tuesday, so will have to wait...:bang:

anyway thanks for the tips guys...(y)

Back